As we approach the waiver trade deadline, let's take a look back at the week that was..
- The Angels signed ace Jered Weaver to a five-year, $85MM contract extension. The deal includes a full no-trade clause and various "significant" bonuses for winning the Cy Young and MVP awards and for earning All-Star berths. Weaver was slated to hit free agency after 2012 and the extension buys out his final year of arbitration eligibility and four years of free agency,
- The Diamondbacks acquired second baseman Aaron Hill and shortstop John McDonald from the Blue Jays for Kelly Johnson. Johnson should still be a Type B free agent in the AL which is likely Toronto's motivation in acquiring the impending free agent. Meanwhile, Hill has an $8MM club option which is expected to be declined after the season.
- After a nine-year absence from Cleveland, Jim Thome is back with the Tribe. The Indians are hoping that their all-time home run leader can help them leapfrog the Tigers in the standings and reach the playoffs once again. The Indians will send a player to be named later to the Twins on or before October 15th.
- B.J. Upton was claimed off trade waivers by an unknown team and the Rays have until Monday to work out a trade with the claiming team or pull him back. The center fielder is scheduled to become a free agent after 2012 and will be arbitration-eligible again this winter. Meanwhile, Upton told reporters that he doesn't expect to return to the club next season.
- The Blue Jays claimed Dewayne Wise after he was DFA'd by the Marlins, meaning that the outfielder is now in his third stint with the club. In 72 plate appearances, he posted a .239/.278/.269 line for Florida, appearing in left and center field.
- The Giants were awarded the waiver claim on Padres closer Heath Bell, but the two sides were unable to work out a deal. Bell's future with the club is anything but certain but the closer said that he would accept arbitration if he is offered.
- Health permitting, the Cardinals will exercise their two-year, $21MM option on Adam Wainwright for 2012-13. It's all still unofficial at this point since the Cardinals don’t have to make a decision until after the season ends.
- The Rockies acquired third baseman Kevin Kouzmanoff and cash considerations from the A's for a player to be named or cash considerations. The 30-year-old posted a .221/.262/.353 line with four homers in 149 plate appearances for Oakland this year.
- Joe Nathan would consider moving on from the Twins under the right circumstances and says that he would look at possible deals on a case by case basis.
- Don't expect the Cardinals to make any more moves, says GM John Mozeliak.
- Some baseball people who know A's GM Billy Beane well say that he might consider an offer to join the Cubs if they approach him about their vacant GM job. There’s concern within the organization that Beane might leave if the A’s don’t get permission to build a stadium in San Jose and the team is sold. The Cubs are also interested in Rays executive vice president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman, Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti, Rick Hahn, Josh Byrnes, and Yankees GM Brian Cashman.
- Lance Berkman intends to play in 2012 and that the Cardinals would be his first choice.
- The Rockies claimed Wandy Rodriguez off of waivers but balked when the Astros insisted on getting prospects and salary relief in return for the 32-year-old. Rodriguez earns $10MM next year and $13MM in 2013. If he's traded, the Astros $13MM option for 2014 becomes a player option.
- The Nationals don't intend to go after Prince Fielder once he reaches free agency. Instead, the Nats may be more focused on finding a center fielder and a leadoff hitter.
- The Dodgers designated catcher Dioner Navarro for assignment and recalled A.J. Ellis in a corresponding move.
- After being released by the Phillies on Saturday, Aaron Heilman inked a minor league deal with the Pirates on Sunday.
- The Pirates designated lefty reliever Joe Beimel for assignment to open a spot on the active roster for Ross Ohlendorf. Beimel, 34, has a 5.33 ERA, 6.0 K/9, 3.2 BB/9, 2.1 HR/9, and 41.2% groundball rate with 34 hits allowed in 25 1/3 innings this year.
- The Orioles designated Felix Pie for assignment to create roster space for Matt Angle. Pie wound up being outrighted to Triple-A and he's expected to accept the assignment.
Cubs Sign Wesley Wright White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins To Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler Padres, A's Swap Seth Smith For Luke Gregerson A's Acquire Craig Gentry, Josh Lindblom Rays Extend Ryan Hanigan Rays Acquire Ryan Hanigan Tigers Sign Joe Nathan Red Sox Sign A.J. Pierzynski Athletics Acquire Jim Johnson For Jemile Weeks Nationals Acquire Doug Fister From Tigers Athletics Sign Scott Kazmir Mariners To Sign Willie Bloomquist Blue Jays To Sign Dioner Navarro Twins To Sign Phil Hughes Rays To Re-Sign Juan Carlos Oviedo Giants Re-Sign Ryan Vogelsong Twins Sign Ricky Nolasco Reds Re-Sign Manny Parra Dodgers Sign Dan Haren Rays Sign Jose Molina Cardinals Sign Jhonny Peralta
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
AL East Notes: Yankees, Ellsbury, Red Sox, Peguero NPB Officials Planning To Accept $20MM Maximum Posting Fee NL Notes: Mets, Nats, Reds, Samardzija, Rockies, D-Backs Orioles Interested In Choo, Cruz, Jimenez AL West Notes: Rangers, Arencibia, Kazmir, Hughes, Mariners Dodgers Nearing Agreement With Brian Wilson Central Notes: Tigers, Castellanos, Beltran, Konerko, Twins Cubs Sign Wesley Wright Mariners Could Make Move To Acquire David Price AL Notes: Fister, Blue Jays, Orioles, Rays Red Sox Notes: Bradley, Drew, Napoli, Pierzynski Ellsbury Notes: Yankees, Red Sox, Gardner, Choo Giants Re-Sign Ryan Vogelsong Minor Moves: Pridie, Brewers, Twins NL East Notes: Lincoln, Coghlan, Morrison
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors