As we approach the waiver trade deadline, let's take a look back at the week that was..
- The Angels signed ace Jered Weaver to a five-year, $85MM contract extension. The deal includes a full no-trade clause and various "significant" bonuses for winning the Cy Young and MVP awards and for earning All-Star berths. Weaver was slated to hit free agency after 2012 and the extension buys out his final year of arbitration eligibility and four years of free agency,
- The Diamondbacks acquired second baseman Aaron Hill and shortstop John McDonald from the Blue Jays for Kelly Johnson. Johnson should still be a Type B free agent in the AL which is likely Toronto's motivation in acquiring the impending free agent. Meanwhile, Hill has an $8MM club option which is expected to be declined after the season.
- After a nine-year absence from Cleveland, Jim Thome is back with the Tribe. The Indians are hoping that their all-time home run leader can help them leapfrog the Tigers in the standings and reach the playoffs once again. The Indians will send a player to be named later to the Twins on or before October 15th.
- B.J. Upton was claimed off trade waivers by an unknown team and the Rays have until Monday to work out a trade with the claiming team or pull him back. The center fielder is scheduled to become a free agent after 2012 and will be arbitration-eligible again this winter. Meanwhile, Upton told reporters that he doesn't expect to return to the club next season.
- The Blue Jays claimed Dewayne Wise after he was DFA'd by the Marlins, meaning that the outfielder is now in his third stint with the club. In 72 plate appearances, he posted a .239/.278/.269 line for Florida, appearing in left and center field.
- The Giants were awarded the waiver claim on Padres closer Heath Bell, but the two sides were unable to work out a deal. Bell's future with the club is anything but certain but the closer said that he would accept arbitration if he is offered.
- Health permitting, the Cardinals will exercise their two-year, $21MM option on Adam Wainwright for 2012-13. It's all still unofficial at this point since the Cardinals don’t have to make a decision until after the season ends.
- The Rockies acquired third baseman Kevin Kouzmanoff and cash considerations from the A's for a player to be named or cash considerations. The 30-year-old posted a .221/.262/.353 line with four homers in 149 plate appearances for Oakland this year.
- Joe Nathan would consider moving on from the Twins under the right circumstances and says that he would look at possible deals on a case by case basis.
- Don't expect the Cardinals to make any more moves, says GM John Mozeliak.
- Some baseball people who know A's GM Billy Beane well say that he might consider an offer to join the Cubs if they approach him about their vacant GM job. There’s concern within the organization that Beane might leave if the A’s don’t get permission to build a stadium in San Jose and the team is sold. The Cubs are also interested in Rays executive vice president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman, Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti, Rick Hahn, Josh Byrnes, and Yankees GM Brian Cashman.
- Lance Berkman intends to play in 2012 and that the Cardinals would be his first choice.
- The Rockies claimed Wandy Rodriguez off of waivers but balked when the Astros insisted on getting prospects and salary relief in return for the 32-year-old. Rodriguez earns $10MM next year and $13MM in 2013. If he's traded, the Astros $13MM option for 2014 becomes a player option.
- The Nationals don't intend to go after Prince Fielder once he reaches free agency. Instead, the Nats may be more focused on finding a center fielder and a leadoff hitter.
- The Dodgers designated catcher Dioner Navarro for assignment and recalled A.J. Ellis in a corresponding move.
- After being released by the Phillies on Saturday, Aaron Heilman inked a minor league deal with the Pirates on Sunday.
- The Pirates designated lefty reliever Joe Beimel for assignment to open a spot on the active roster for Ross Ohlendorf. Beimel, 34, has a 5.33 ERA, 6.0 K/9, 3.2 BB/9, 2.1 HR/9, and 41.2% groundball rate with 34 hits allowed in 25 1/3 innings this year.
- The Orioles designated Felix Pie for assignment to create roster space for Matt Angle. Pie wound up being outrighted to Triple-A and he's expected to accept the assignment.
Twins Sign Kohl Stewart Red Sox Sign Trey Ball Mike Zagurski Elects Free Agency Padres To Release James Darnell Mets Acquire Eric Young For McHugh; Designate Cowgill Yankees Acquire Fernando Martinez Yankees Designate Chris Bootcheck Diamondbacks Sign Braden Shipley Phillies Sign J.P. Crawford Orioles Designate Yamaico Navarro Mets Agree To Sign Dominic Smith Giants To Sign Christian Arroyo Pirates To Sign Reese McGuire Mets To Promote Zack Wheeler Yankees To Sign Ian Clarkin Rays Promote Wil Myers Dodgers Claim John Baker Mariners Sign Henry Blanco; Designate Kelly Shoppach For Assignment Dodgers Designate Ramon Hernandez For Assignment
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Draft Signings: Brady, Katoh, Paroubeck, De Horta Braves Sign First-Rounder Jason Hursh Red Sox Sign Trey Ball Twins Sign Kohl Stewart Mike Zagurski Elects Free Agency Padres Request Release Waivers On James Darnell Astros To Sign Mark Appel Suspensions Likely In Biogenesis Case Quick Hits: Norris, Ethier, Blue Jays, Phillies Mets Acquire Eric Young Jr., Designate Collin Cowgill Draft Signings: Bohn, Salazar, Verbistky, Healy, Moll Yankees Acquire Fernando Martinez Yankees Designate Chris Bootcheck For Assignment Padres Sign Ben Francisco Astros, Boras Meet To Discuss Appel Deal
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors