With Game Four of the World Series in progress, let's take a look back at the week that was..
- On Friday night, the Red Sox and Cubs finally announced that Theo Epstein will take over as the Cubs' President of Baseball Operations. Both organizations will forego further comment until Tuesday, which is the next scheduled non-game day in the World Series. Compensation has not yet been agreed upon but the issue will be "resolved in the near term" according the the joint press release. The two sides have struggled to reach agreement this past week, with the Red Sox asking for pitcher Matt Garza at one point.
- Meanwhile, the Cubs will also pluck Jed Hoyer and Jason McLeod from the Padres, but San Diego won't seek compensation. The Friars are set to promote Josh Byrnes to the GM job.
- It's widely assumed that Yu Darvish will be playing in the Major Leagues next year, but the 25-year-old right-hander wrote on his personal blog on the matter and explained that "nothing is decided." Earlier in the week, it was suggested that the Rangers, Blue Jays, Nationals, Royals, and Mariners are among the early favorites to land the hurler.
- After his team was knocked out of the playoffs, Brewers owner Mark Attanasio told his fans that the club will be in the mix to try and retain free agent first baseman Prince Fielder. Tim Dierkes writes that he would be very surprised to see the Brewers re-sign Fielder within the exclusive negotation period.
- The Orioles continued their GM search this week and interviewed Jerry Dipoto of the Diamondbacks, Tony LaCava of the Blue Jays, and most recently Dodgers assistant GM De Jon Watson. They asked to talk with Marlins assistant GM Dan Jennings but were denied permission.
- Speaking of the O's, reliever Jeremy Accardo is a free agent after refusing last week's outright assignment.
- The Angels top choice for GM is Rays' executive VP of baseball operations Andrew Friedman, but he's unlikely to leave his post in Tampa Bay for the job. The Halos will now move on to other candidates including their own Tory Hernandez, Kim Ng of MLB, Rick Hahn of the White Sox, Damon Oppenheimer and Billy Eppler of the Yankees and Jerry Dipoto of the Diamondbacks.
- The Nationals and righty Chien-Ming Wang continue to discuss an extension, but the two sides aren't yet close to a deal.
- Veteran reliever Arthur Rhodes wants to pitch in 2012 and then retire. Rhodes' preference is to pitch for the Cardinals in 2012, which would be Rhodes' 21st Major League season.
- Frank and Jamie McCourt confirmed that they have come to a financial agreement. Jamie will obtain $130MM and relinquish any claim to a share of the Dodgers. She will also no longer stand in the way of Frank's plan to sell the team's media rights.
- A number of high-profile White Sox players had poor showings in 2011, but GM Kenny Williams said in a radio interview that he will not be shopping players this offseason. Williams said that the club will look to build around its young core of talent including Dayan Viciedo, Tyler Flowers, Alejandro de Aza, Brent Morel, and Gordon Beckham.
- After saying earlier this month that there was "too much drama" around the club, David Ortiz said that he wants to return for his 10th season with the Red Sox in 2012.
- Potential Astros owner Jim Crane reportedly wants $50MM off his $680MM purchase price as compensation for moving the club to the American League.
- In a radio interview this week, Selig said that the collective bargaining agreement talks were "constructive," though it would be "pretty optimistic" to hope that a new deal could be announced before the end of the World Series.
- General manager Neal Huntington said that the Pirates intend to decline club options for Ryan Doumit and Chris Snyder after the conclusion of the World Series.
- The Yankees announced that they're declining their 2012 option for Damaso Marte. The left-hander missed the entire 2011 season after undergoing shoulder surgery last October and will get a $250K buyout instead of a $4MM salary for 2012.
- The Mets released reliever Ryota Igarashi. The Japanese right-hander signed a two-year, $3MM deal with the Mets in December 2009 but struggled to adjust to pitching in North America.
- The Nationals returned Rule 5 selection Elvin Ramirez to the Mets. The right-hander spent the season on the 60-day DL after undergoing an operation on his throwing shoulder.
- The Diamondbacks outrighted Sean Burroughs, Alberto Castillo and Robby Hammock to Triple-A.
- Blue Jays left-hander Rommie Lewis, infielder Chris Woodward and outfielder Dewayne Wise all elected free agency this week. The Blue Jays also claimed right-hander Jesse Chavez from the Royals.
- The Mets removed infielder Val Pascucci and right-handers Dale Thayer and Manny Alvarez from their 40-man roster.
- The Twins outrighted utility player Brian Dinkelman and left-hander Phil Dumatrait to Triple-A.
- Padres right-hander Jeff Fulchino elected free agency.
Nationals Designate Yunesky Maya For AssignmentMariners Designate Robert Andino For Assignment Orioles Designate Alex Burnett For Assignment Indians Designate David Huff For Assignment Marlins Release Jon Rauch Derek Lowe Clears Waivers Cubs Claim Eduardo Sanchez Mets Sign David Aardsma Cubs Designate Michael Bowden For Assignment Blue Jays Claim Thad Weber Angels Claim Chris Nelson
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Quick Hits: Angels, Montero, Gomes, Dodgers Rosenthal On Rizzo, Altuve, Mattingly AL Notes: Brantley, Indians, Hendrickson, Angels Alfonso Soriano More Open To Approving Trade Yankees Claim David Huff, Designate Rondon Mets Notes: Wheeler, Wright, Duda, Davis Camden Riversharks Sign Wilson Valdez White Sox Outright Angel Sanchez Rangers Claim Joe Benson Red Sox Notes: Lackey, Henry, Draft Quick Hits: Yankees, Dodgers NL Notes: Amarista, Nationals, Morse, Krol Nationals Designate Yunesky Maya For Assignment Mariners Designate Robert Andino For Assignment Central Notes: Reds, Cubs, Morneau
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors