Jonny Gomes Rumors


AL East Notes: Rays, Kelley, Drew, Gomes, Sox

Facing the possibility of losing Matt Moore to Tommy John surgery, Rays manager Joe Maddon offered his take on the recent rash of Tommy John surgeries in the game. Via the Associated Press:

"Sometimes you have to look underneath the surface and I tend to agree it has a lot to do with youth sports and travel teams and multiple travel teams and kids pitching to win when they're really young and throwing too many pitches. I think the more recent epidemic curiously might be tied to what they're doing before they even get here professionally."

Of course, Moore's injury is not the only injury facing the Rays' rotation, either. Jeremy Hellickson opened the season on the disabled list, and Alex Cobb is now out as long as six weeks after being placed on the DL with an oblique strain yesterday, writes Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune. Here's more from the AL East...

  • The Mariners' decision to designate Shawn Kelley for assignment last Spring Training rather than pay him $935K has proven to be the Yankees' gain, writes John Harper of the New York Daily News. Kelley was a vital part of the bullpen in 2013 and has stepped up for the injured David Robertson in 2014 thus far. Kelley's strong 2013 season is part of the reason that the Yanks didn't add a right-handed setup arm this offseason, writes Harper, as they believed the two-time Tommy John victim to be capable of handling the role of Robertson's primary setup man.
  • Harper also looks at the predictably injury-riddled Yankees infield and opines that it's time for the team to call Scott Boras to get a deal done with Stephen Drew. As Harper points out, the Yankees ran out an infield of Kelly Johnson, Dean Anna, Yangervis Solarte and Carlos Beltran last night, and patchwork mixes like that simply won't cut it. He suggests a two-year deal for Drew, to play second base and provide insurance for Jeter this season before taking the reins at shortstop in 2015.
  • While much is made of Jon Lester's coming free agency by the Boston media, the Boston Herald's John Tomase writes that Jonny Gomes is also in the final year of his deal, and he spoke with the part-time Red Sox outfielder about that scenario. Gomes admits that it's difficult to play in a walk year due to the results-oriented nature of the game, adding that he knows being a good clubhouse presence won't necessarily get him a job next year. Tomase writes that ideally, Gomes' preference is to stay in Boston.
  • WEEI.com's Alex Speier writes that Red Sox manager John Farrell isn't exactly thrilled with the early returns on baseball's instant replay system. "It's hard to have any faith in the system," said Farrell after being on the losing end of a pair of challenges this weekend. Saturday's call, in particular, looked to provide conclusive evidence in Boston's favor, but the umpires didn't agree. Said Farrell: "As much as they’re trying to help the human element inside this system, it seems like it’s added the human element at a different level."



AL East Notes: Yankees, Red Sox, Ellsbury

The Yankees will now be partners in a new Major League Soccer franchise, as announced on MLB.com. "We look forward to the opportunity to work with Manchester City to create something very special for the soccer fans of New York -- and to bringing another terrific team to this city for all sports fans to enjoy," stated Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner.  This isn't the Bombers' first foray into the world of soccer as they had a marketing partnership with Manchester United during their "YankeeNets" phase.  Here's a look at tonight's other news from the American League East..

  • Ben Francisco's days with the Yankees may be coming to an end, opines Mike Axisa of the River Avenue Blues blog. The 31-year-old outfielder has struggled to provide an impact in New York, hitting for just a .114/220/.182 line in 50 plate appearances so far this season.  
  • Jacoby Ellsbury has not played as the Red Sox would have hoped in his contract year, notes Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald. Lauber compares Ellsbury to Red Sox teammates Mike Napoli and Shane Victorino, as both performed below expectations during their final seasons before hitting free agency.  Ellsbury is off to a .241/.303/.335 start in a league-leading 208 PA.  
  • Lauber also discusses how the two-year, $10MM deal Jonny Gomes signed with the Red Sox has affected the outfielder.  While Gomes has gotten off to a slow start in 2013, Lauber argues that the security of a multiyear deal has helped the 32-year-old focus on providing leadership to younger Red Sox players.  



AL East Notes: Hale, Swisher, Kuroda, Orioles

It was on this day in 1977 that Rich "Goose" Gossage signed a six-year, $2.75MM free agent contract with the Yankees.  The Goose lived up to that then-exorbitant deal, posting a 2.10 ERA and saving 150 games over those six seasons, notching three top-five finishes in Cy Young Award voting and helping New York win the 1978 World Series.  Gossage went into the Hall Of Fame as a Yankee in 2008.

Here's the latest from New York and elsewhere in the AL East...

  • DeMarlo Hale is "likely" going to be the Blue Jays' next bench coach, a source tells MLB.com's Brittany Ghiroli (Twitter link).  Hale served as the Orioles' third base coach in 2012 and was interviewed as a managerial candidate by the Jays two years ago before Toronto hired John Farrell.  Hale's contract may be for three years, reports MASNsports.com's Roch Kubatko.
  • The Red Sox have Nick Swisher "on their radar," a source tells George A. King III of the New York Post.  At least seven teams are known to be interested in Swisher, whose ability to switch-hit and play both first base and right field is a boon to many clubs.  King hears from an industry source who believes Swisher could find a four-year, $60MM contract, though with that many teams and big markets in the running, it wouldn't surprise me to see that number jump to between $65-$70MM in guaranteed money.
  • Other teams were offering Hiroki Kuroda more expensive and longer-term deals with player options than the one-year, $15MM contract he signed with the Yankees, reports Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York.  Kuroda took the relatively smaller deal with New York due to his familiarity with the city and his desire to keep his options open next winter for a possible return to Japan.  Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (Twitter link) notes that Kuroda has left money on the table for each of the four contracts he's signed in his Major League career.    
  • The Orioles were interested in Jonny Gomes but are "not too heartbroken" that Gomes has signed with Boston, reports Eduardo A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun.  The O's prefer to use the money earmarked for Gomes to re-sign Nate McLouth instead.
  • In AL East news from earlier today, Josh Johnson's agent Matt Sosnick discussed the possibility of his client signing an extension with the Blue Jays.



Red Sox To Sign Jonny Gomes

7:21pm: It's a two-year contract worth $10MM according to Susan Slusser of The San Francisco Chronicle. She says it's about double what the Athletics offered Gomes in September.

4:18pm: The Red Sox agreed to a two-year contract with free agent outfielder Jonny Gomes, Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and MLB Network Radio reports (on Twitter). MVP Sports Group represents Gomes, whose deal is pending a physical.

Gomes, 31, spent this past season with the Athletics as a corner outfielder and designated hitter. He posted a .262/.377/.491 batting line with 18 home runs and 44 walks in 333 plate appearances. Gomes, a career .284/.382/.512 hitter against left-handed pitching, continued hitting southpaws well in 2012. He posted a .974 OPS against lefties and hit 11 homers.

The Orioles had also been linked to Gomes, who was not ranked among MLBTR's top 50 free agents.

Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald first reported that the sides were nearing a deal. Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com first reported that the sides were building momentum and had discussed a two-year deal.

Mike Axisa contributed to this post.



Red Sox, Jonny Gomes Nearing Two-Year Deal

2:10pm: The Orioles are out on Gomes, reports Nick Cafardo of The Boston Globe (on Twitter). Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com says (on Twitter) that the outfielder is looking for $3-4MM annually.

12:23pm: The Red Sox are closing in on a two-year contract with free agent outfielder Jonny Gomes, Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald reports. MVP Sports Group represents Gomes.

The Red Sox narrowed their search for outfielders to focus on Gomes and Cody Ross in recent days, Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com reported earlier today. McAdam first reported that the Red Sox had discussed a two-year deal with Gomes.

Gomes, 31, spent this past season with the Athletics as a corner outfielder and designated hitter. He posted a .262/.377/.491 batting line with 18 home runs and 44 walks in 333 plate appearances. Gomes, a career .284/.382/.512 hitter against left-handed pitching, continued hitting southpaws well in 2012. He posted a .974 OPS against lefties and hit 11 homers.

The Orioles have also been linked to Gomes, who was not ranked among MLBTR's top 50 free agents.

Mike Axisa contributed to this post, which was first published on November 21st.



Orioles Notes: Gomes, McClellan

The Orioles improved their win total by 24 this past season, finishing with a 93-69 record. Here's the latest on the team’s offseason plans...

  • The Orioles maintain interest in Jonny Gomes, but would prefer to sign him on a one-year deal, Eduardo A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun reports (on Twitter). Gomes seeks a multiyear deal, according to Encina.
  • It doesn't appear that Kyle McClellan's name has come up in the Orioles' internal discussions, Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com reports. McClellan, who was released by the Cardinals yesterday, has intrigued the Orioles in the past. However, he hasn't pitched since May because of a shoulder injury.



Quick Hits: Gomes, Burnett, Hamilton

On this date four years ago the Rockies officially sent Matt Holliday to the Athletics for a package of players including Carlos Gonzalez and Huston Street. The A's didn't get what they were hoping for in the deal, but Gonzalez has since become a cornerstone player for the Rockies. Here are today's links...

  • The Orioles are indeed interested in Gomes, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter).
  • Before acquiring Chris Young from Arizona, the Athletics had extensive talks with free agent outfielder Jonny Gomes about a possible two-year deal, ESPN.com's Buster Olney reports (on Twitter). Olney suggests the Orioles could be a fit for Gomes now.
  • Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post explains that Jeremy Affeldt could help set the market for Sean Burnett by agreeing to terms with the Giants. Both free agent left-handers have positioned themselves for multiyear deals.
  • Free agent outfielder Josh Hamilton seems pretty risky to one NL executive who spoke with ESPN.com’s Jayson Stark (Twitter link). "He's going to break somebody's bank -- and probably break somebody's heart," the person said.



Athletics Notes: Gomes, McCarthy, Drew, Inge

The Athletics have had minimal contract talks with their free agents this winter, with the exception of Jonny Gomes, writes Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle.  Sources say that Oakland presented Gomes' former agency, ACES, with an offer at the end of the season.  The two sides were unable to come to terms on a deal, however, and the A's went on to trade for Chris Young.  Here's more from Slusser..

  • Brandon McCarthy has drawn immediate interest from numerous teams including the Cubs, White Sox and Blue Jays.  McCarthy was impressive when healthy but missed significant time thanks to shoulder issues and the scary line drive incident in early September.
  • Oakland hopes to continue talks with shortstop Stephen Drew, who became a free agent after the club declined their side of a $10MM mutual option.  The shortstop posted a combined batting line of .223/.309/.348 in 327 plate appearances for the Diamondbacks and A's in 2012.
  • The Athletics won't totally rule out a return for Brandon Inge, but he hasn't been considered a strong candidate to return. 
  • The A's agreed to a new one-year deal with Bartolo Colon earlier this afternoon, and GM Billy Beane told MLB.com's Jane Lee that he considers the right-hander low-risk depth (Twitter link).
  • Slusser notes (on Twitter) that the Colon deal will not impact the club's attempts to re-sign McCarthy.

Mike Axisa contributed to this post.



Jonny Gomes To Be Represented By MVP Sports

Jonny Gomes is leaving ACES and will now be represented by Dan Lozano's MVP Sports Group, according to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle (on Twitter).

Gomes isn't the first player to depart from ACES in recent months. The agency, headed by brothers Sam and Seth Levinson, has come under scrutiny following an alleged cover-up Melky Cabrera's web site scandal. Shane Victorino, Nyjer Morgan and Everth Cabrera have all left ACES this month, and many around baseball have wondered if others will follow.

The 32-year-old Gomes had arguably the best season of his career with the A's in 2012, batting .262/.377/.491 with 18 homers in 99 games (333 plate appearances). Of those 99 games, 53 came as the team's DH. As is usually the case, Gomes absolutely clobbered left-handed pitching (.299/.413/.561) and floundered against right-handers (.209/.324/.391).

A free agent this winter, Gomes' big numbers should make it easy for his new representatives to secure a deal considerably larger than the one-year, $1MM he signed with Oakland last offseason. Presumably, he met the requirements to trigger some or all of his $200K worth of incentives, though the terms of those incentives were never disclosed.


Full Story |  Comments (0) | Categories: Jonny Gomes

Athletics Notes: Gomes, Crisp, Young

Earlier tonight, Athletics General Manager Billy Beane spoke with reporters to discuss the three-team deal that brought Chris Young to Oakland.  Beane admitted that the Young acquisition "will have an impact" on their decision to bring back free agent Jonny Gomes and seemed to infer that he won't be back in 2013, writes Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle.  Here's more on Beane and the A's..

  • The GM doesn't intend on moving any of the club's other outfielders after acquiring Young and reiterated how important Coco Crisp is to the team, tweets Casey Pratt of CSNBayArea.com.  Beane believes that the club can find playing time for all of their outfielders by rotating them and utilizing the DH spot.
  • Beane said that he phoned Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers about the possibility of trading for Young the day after the Athletics were eliminated by the Tigers, tweets Joe Stiglich of the Bay Area News Group.
  • If Beane has a change of heart about Crisp, Jim Bowden of ESPN (via Twitter) suggests that the Rays, Mets, Indians, and Mariners could all be interested in the outfielder.  Obviously, the Rays would only be a fit if they lose B.J. Upton to the open market.
  • Scott Sizemore will shift back to his original position of second base, a move that seemed possible, Stiglich tweets.









Lijit Search




Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner







NAVIGATION

Site Map
Archives
Feeds by Team

MLBTR INFO

Advertise
About
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy

CONNECT

Contact Us
Widget
Twitter
Facebook
Rss Feed


MLB Trade Rumors is a partner of FanVsFan. MLB Trade Rumors is not affiliated with Major League Baseball, MLB or MLB.com.