Weekly email list
- Orioles Agree To Deal With Ariel Miranda
- Right-Hander Norge Ruiz Leaves Cuba, Will Seek Deal With MLB Club
- Smyly Will Not Have Surgery, Is Confident He Can Pitch In 2015
- Hyun-jin Ryu Undergoes Season-Ending Shoulder Surgery
- 2016 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings
- Hyun-jin Ryu To Undergo Shoulder Surgery
- Mariners Acquire Welington Castillo From Cubs For Yoervis Medina
- Bruce Chen Announces Retirement
- Red Sox Outright Allen Craig
- Marlins Name GM Dan Jennings Manager
Trade Rumors Apps
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 Arbitration Tracker
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2015
- Free Agent Contest Leaderboard
- Reverse Standings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- NL Notes: Price, Mets, Cubs, Frias, Upton
- AL East Notes: Lindgren, Red Sox, Blue Jays
- MLBTR Originals
- Cafardo On Trade Deadline, Maddux, Tulo
- Minor Moves: Ka’aihue, Roe, Bianchi
- Huntington On Kang, Harrison, Kingham
- Brewers Notes: Draft, Braun, Gomez, Lucroy, Melvin
- Kyuji Fujikawa Clears Waivers, Now A Free Agent
- Rangers Sign Jared Burton To Minor League Contract
- NL West Notes: Chavez, Weiss, LeMahieu, Uribe
- Giants Designate Casey McGehee For Assignment
- Cubs Return Anthony Varvaro To Red Sox
- Reds Pitcher Making Ends Meet With Second Job
- Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Angels, Melancon, A’s
- Indians Designate Brett Hayes For Assignment
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Jorge Julio Rumors
After a strong winter in Venezuela, reliever Jorge Julio has signed a minor league contract with the Pirates and received an invitation to Spring Training, reports César Augusto Márquez at the Venezuelan newspaper Lider en Deportes (link in Spanish). However, Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that the Pirates did not invite the pitcher to Spring Training (Twitter link).
Julio last pitched in the majors for the Brewers in 2009, when his longstanding control problems led to his release after just 15 appearances. Julio never stopped throwing hard or getting strikeouts, though, and his 2010 full-season campaign with the Bridgeport Bluefish of the independent Atlantic League was a success. He struck out 57 batters in 55 innings without allowing a home run, on his way to a 1.15 ERA. This winter with the Tiburones de La Guaira, Julio has again seemed to be in control, as he managed a 1.95 ERA with 22 strikeouts in 27 innings.
According to Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com, the Pirates have signed righty Jorge Julio to a minor league deal. He's been assigned to Triple-A Indianapolis. Julio, 30, had been released by the Rays earlier this month after posting a 5.96 ERA in 22.2 IP with their Triple-A affiliate. With the Brewers earlier this year, Julio had a 7.79 ERA in 17.1 IP.
A fresh batch of links as we move into the evening…
- According to Adam Sobsey of The Independent Weekly, the Rays have released 30-year-old reliever Jorge Julio. The right-hander had a 5.96 ERA and a 24/15 K/BB ratio in 22 2/3 innings this season with Triple-A Durham.
- Cubs GM Jim Hendry told Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times Saturday that he is open to a waiver deal if it will make his club better. "We'll see," said Hendry. "If we find something that makes us better, we'll try.''
- Need a refresher on the way waiver deals work? Will Carroll of Baseball Prospectus has you covered.
- The San Francisco Chronicle's Susan Slusser gathered a quote from Russ Springer moments after he learned he was headed to the Rays: "It will be nice to play in some playoff-race type games and hopefully I can go to Tampa Bay and carry my load."
The Sports Network reports that the Rays have agreed to terms with pitcher Jorge Julio. They've assigned the righty, who was recently released by the Brewers, to Triple A. The Rays released pitcher Chad Orvella to make room for Julio in Durham.
The Brewers have released pitcher Jorge Julio, according to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. They made the move to create roster space for Mike Burns, a 30-year-old who has pitched for three major league teams. Burns was starting for Triple A Nashville and he'll provide some much-needed support for an over-used Brewers 'pen.
Julio failed to retire any of the six hitters he faced last night. Poor outings became the norm for him this year; he's allowed nearly two baserunners per innings and has an ERA of 7.79.
Today is free agent Cliff Floyd’s birthday. He is 36 years young. His knees are not. Also, on this date 18 years ago, the San Diego Padres sent Roberto Alomar and Joe Carter to the Blue Jays for Fred McGriff and Tony Fernandez, in one of the biggest trades ever featuring young, proven talent. Got one that can top that? Let’s hear it in the comments…With little action so far this year, the Hot Stove Season is ugly, Don Mossi ugly. Let’s take a look at what is being written in the blogosphere…
- Mets Geek takes a look at three recent rumored deals that may be sitting on Omar Minaya’s desk and ponders whether or not the Mets should make each trade.
- The Detroit Tigers Weblog breaks down what a Jack Wilson trade would mean for the Tigers.
- Fire Brand of the American League feels that with the recent additions to the bullpen, the Red Sox may be better suited to insert Justin Masterson into the rotation, rather than sign a high-priced free agent.
- Ump Bump suggests that the Angels could get more bang for the buck if they sign Adam Dunn over Mark Teixeira.
- The ‘Burgh Blues picks through the scraps and identifies eight players they would like to see the Pirates invite to Spring Training, including Richie Sexson, Sidney Ponson, Mark Prior and Matt Clement.
- MLB Notebook takes a look at the big guns in the free agent market and feels that the Yankees are no longer in a position to set the pace. Rather, they argue that the Angels now control the market.
- East Windup Chronicle feels that some are underestimating the amount of potential Major League talent playing in Japan, noting the number is "at least 30" and considerably more if they had the opportunity to start in the minors out of high school.
- Bernies Crew likes the Jorge Julio signing by the Brewers, noting the move gives the team much needed flexibility and depth in the bullpen.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Adam Dunn | Baseball Blogs Weigh In | Boston Red Sox | Detroit Tigers | Jack Wilson | Japanese Players In MLB | Jorge Julio | Justin Masterson | Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim | Mark Prior | Mark Teixeira | Matt Clement | Milwaukee Brewers | New York Mets | New York Yankees | Pittsburgh Pirates | Richie Sexson | Sidney Ponson
5:16pm: Haudricourt reports Julio’s base salary is $950K. He’s able to earn another $950K in incentives.
3:44pm: According to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, the Brewers signed reliever Jorge Julio to a one-year deal. Julio, 30 in March, still throws hard and allows too many walks and home runs.
According to Tim Pearrell, the Braves have signed reliever Jorge Julio to a minor league deal. Julio may not contribute much at the big league level, but Frank Wren is probably just trying to add depth. Fortunately, Mike Gonzalez may finish his rehab assignment soon.
Plenty of links for today.
- Indians top prospect Adam Miller is pretty much done for the season.
- ’09 free agent shortstop Orlando Cabrera and manager Ozzie Guillen are not getting along.
- Peter Bendix explains the savings the Reds get by waiting to promote Jay Bruce.
- Morgan Ensberg is a DFA candidate, while LaTroy Hawkins may be getting there.
- Bret Boone‘s comeback attempt has ended.
- Jeff Weaver (6.69 ERA in Triple A) can ask for his release if not called up by June 15th.
- Hank Blalock may not be in the Rangers’ long-term plans.
- The Indians designated Jorge Julio for assignment.
According to MLB.com’s Anthony Castrovince, the Indians have signed reliever Jorge Julio to a minor league deal. He’ll join a battle for the team’s one open ‘pen spot.
Julio at least has relative youth and velocity on his side. He turns 29 in March. He had a 5.23 ERA in 62 innings in ’07, posting an 8.1 K/9 and 4.5 BB/9. Control and home runs allowed have often been a problem for Julio.