- Mariners, Rays Swap Erasmo Ramirez For Mike Montgomery
- Dodgers Release Dustin McGowan, Will Pay Mike Adams Roster Bonus
- MLBPA Issues Statement On Bryant, Prospect Promotions
- Pirates Discussing Extension With Gregory Polanco
- Mets Acquire Jerry Blevins
- Kris Bryant To Begin Season In Minors
- Mets Acquire Alex Torres
- Red Sox Acquire Sandy Leon; Christian Vazquez Placed On 60-Day DL
- Rangers Release Ryan Ludwick
- Brewers Release Chris Perez
Trade Rumors Apps
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 Arbitration Tracker
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2015
- Free Agent Contest Leaderboard
- Reverse Standings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Phillies Outright Phillippe Aumont, Miguel Gonzalez
- Astros Designate Alex Presley For Assignment
- Aaron Crow Likely Facing Tommy John Surgery
- Nationals Release Kevin Frandsen
- Padres Actively Taking Calls On Relievers
- Blue Jays Notes: Travis, Pompey, Bullpen, Santiago
- Mariners, Rays Swap Erasmo Ramirez For Mike Montgomery
- Article XX(B) Free Agent Updates: Tuesday
- Royals Notes: Hochevar, Morales, Flynn, Madson, Blanton
- NL West Notes: Gutierrez, Ethier, Dodgers, Padres
- Giants Designate Gary Brown For Assignment, Add Justin Maxwell To Roster
- AL West Notes: Nix, Astros, Mariners, Rangers
- Braves Outright Zoilo Almonte
- Evan Gattis Settling In With Astros
- Royals Release Rafael Furcal
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Julian Tavarez Rumors
Some links to (maybe) cap an already wild day in rumor-land:
- Joe McDonald at the Providence Journal thinks the Red Sox need to make a major deal.
- Dan Novick at the Hardball Times wonders if the Lee trade was a win-win.
- John Campanelli at the Cleveland Plain-Dealer gets reactions from Indians fans on the Lee deal. Suffice to say, they ain't happy.
- Nationals acting manager Jim Riggleman wants to see the team's core remain intact, says Chico Harlan at the Washington Post.
- Marc Topkin at the St. Petersburg Times says the Rays "seem unlikely" to make a big deal.
- Geoff Baker at the Seattle Times thinks the Mariners' deals today for Ian Snell and Jack Wilson probably spell some more trades on the horizon–potentially involving Jarrod Washburn.
- The Nationals released Julian Tavarez today, who had cleared waivers. Corey Patterson also cleared waivers and has been released from the Triple A club, reports Bill Ladson at MLB.com.
- David Laurila at Baseball Prospectus has a profile and some quotes from new Pirate Tim Alderson.
MLB.com's Bill Ladson reports the Nationals have designated right-hander Julian Tavarez for assignment.
Tavarez, a true journeyman at this point in his career, had a 4.89 ERA and a 1.74 WHIP in 35 innings with the Nats. He's 35, but a club desperate for bullpen depth might decide to give him a shot. Either that, or he'll end up back at Washington's Triple-A affiliate in Syracuse.
Links for Monday…
- Cole Hamels is flying to Philadelphia to have his sore left elbow examined. Hamels threw 3,914 pitches in total last year, the most in baseball (two more than C.C. Sabathia). Hamels thinks he’s fine and it’s not a big deal.
- Julian Tavarez on why he chose the Nationals.
- MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro says the Marlins returned Rule 5 lefty Zach Kroenke to the Yankees.
- Maury Brown of The Biz of Baseball looks at postseason ticket revenue over the last decade.
- Dan Brown of the San Jose Mercury News talked to John Dewan about the Giants’ defense.
- Joel Sherman of the New York Post writes about the fraternity in the Yankees’ revamped rotation.
- Athletics Nation talked to Jason Giambi, who was very close to re-signing with the A’s before he signed with the Yankees.
- Patrick Newman of NPB Tracker asks if Yankees starter Kei Igawa, owed $12MM over the next three years, is movable.
A few links for Saturday…
- Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post reports that Omar Minaya says the Mets won’t sign Pedro Martinez. Buster Olney was on this one earlier in the week, but that was before the Mets had to shut Tim Redding down because of weakness in his pitching shoulder.
- According to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle Bobby Crosby played third and first yesterday in a Spring Training game. He had never played first before and had to borrow a glove. Playing well at many positions couldn’t hurt his trade value.
- We missed this one earlier in the week: Bill Shaikin of the LA Times asked Angels GM Tony Reagins if he has interest in Barry Bonds and heard he has "none."
- Barry Svrluga of the Washington Post reports that acting GM Mike Rizzo signed Julian Tavarez to the Nats because he wants depth and doesn’t want his players feeling too comfortable about their jobs.
According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, the Nationals signed pitcher Julian Tavarez to a minor league deal. Tavarez, 36 in May, posted a 5.10 ERA, 8.4 K/9, and 4.6 BB/9 in 54.6 innings for the Brewers and Braves last year.
Sherman also has three pre-arbitration signings: Jeremy Guthrie ($650K), Kevin Kouzmanoff ($432K) and Ross Ohlendorf ($414K).
We’ve got mostly smaller stuff today, so let’s kick it off with an odds and ends.
- The Mets designated Claudio Vargas for assignment. I’m a bit surprised, I think he’s still a useful pitcher.
- Pitcher Jon Lieber may retire after the season. 130+ wins, that’s a nice career.
- With Tom Gordon‘s shoulder barking, the Phillies’ desire to add a reliever has intensified. Here’s a look at the relief market.
- When a 2.93 ERA is considered underperforming, expectations were never reasonable. Anyone else get the impression that if Johan Santana‘s record was 10-3 instead of 7-6, there wouldn’t even be a discussion? Joel Sherman believes the Yankees (if under Brian Cashman) would not go six or seven years to sign C.C. Sabathia in light of the Barry Zito and Santana deals. He wonders whether Sabathia could be lured with a shorter term and higher average annual value.
- Julian Tavarez chose to become a free agent, surprising the Brewers.
- Roy Oswalt reminds us that he has a no-trade clause and hasn’t been approached by management about any deals.
- The Adam Dunn-J.P. Ricciardi saga continues.
- I chatted with Ryan Henning about the Twins recently.
- T.J. Simers and Ned Colletti argue about the GM’s trading track record.
- The Pirates are looking for pitching. Brett Tomko anyone? Anyone?
- Evan Grant discusses the Rangers’ trade options in his mailbag.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Adam Dunn | C.C. Sabathia | Chicago Cubs | Cincinnati Reds | Claudio Vargas | Cleveland Indians | Houston Astros | J.P. Ricciardi | Johan Santana | Jon Lieber | Julian Tavarez | Los Angeles Dodgers | Milwaukee Brewers | Minnesota Twins | New York Mets | New York Yankees | Philadelphia Phillies | Pittsburgh Pirates | Roy Oswalt | Texas Rangers | Tom Gordon | Toronto Blue Jays
Julian Tavarez‘s time in Milwaukee is up; he was designated for assignment to make room for David Riske. He pitched in seven games for the Brewers and was knocked around in three of those outings.
MONDAY: Tom Haudricourt reports that the Brewers are set to sign Tavarez for bullpen depth.
SUNDAY: The Boston Globe’s Nick Cafardo writes that Bartolo Colon, a close friend of Julian Tavarez, said Tavarez told him that he would prefer to pitch for the New York Mets. Tavarez was recently DFA’d by the Red Sox and elected free agency rather than accepting an assignment to Triple A Pawtucket.
Tavarez could make sense for the Mets in many roles. Jason Vargas and Matt Wise have been ineffective in limited use, while Mike Pelfrey has been very inconsistent over the first two months of the season. The Mets, however, have yet to indicate whether they have interest in the veteran right-hander. Baseball Prospectus’ John Perrotto has the Orioles and Brewers as the top suitors; I hadn’t heard Baltimore in the mix until now.
Thankfully, the calendar will soon flip to June, and trade rumors will start to heat up. To tide you over until then, here are a few notes from around the league.
- Sean McAdam wonders if Manny Ramirez’s current slump will affect the team’s decision to exercise his $20MM option for 2009. Manny sounded rather confident last month that the team would pick it up. And while it’s nearly a given that he’ll recover from this month, the Red Sox could read it as a sign of decline. Still, the chances of the option being picked up are still high.
- A few days after accepting an assignment to AAA Pawtucket, Julian Tavarez has instead opted for free agency.
- Couple of transaction notes. Braves C Brayan Pena has been activated from the DL, and immediately designated for assignment. Indians reliever Craig Breslow was also DFA.