AL East Notes: Duquette, Hundley, Rays
Orioles executive Dan Duquette is a great fit to replace Blue Jays president and CEO Paul Beeston, but if the Jays want him, they should be willing to pay a significant price, ESPN’s Buster Olney writes (subscription required). The right executive can make a huge difference for a franchise, but Duquette is under contract with the Orioles through 2018, so if the Blue Jays want him, the Orioles should ask for top young players (as in one or more of Marcus Stroman, Aaron Sanchez, Daniel Norris, Jeff Hoffman, Max Pentecost or Richard Urena) in return. Here’s more from the AL East.
- The Orioles had hoped they could re-sign catcher Nick Hundley, but it appears he has found a two-year offer with another team, so he likely won’t be returning, MASNsports’ Roch Kubatko tweets. Hundley, 31, posted a .243/.273/.358 line in 233 plate appearances with the Padres and Orioles last season, but he has a solid defensive reputation. The O’s declined their $5MM option on Hundley in October.
- After trading Wil Myers to San Diego, the Rays remain optimistic about contending in 2015, Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times writes. “While there’s been a lot of change, the talent level at the major-league level remains very high, and we should be a formidable club,” says president of baseball operations Matt Silverman. Silverman adds that although the Rays could continue making moves (Topkin mentions the possibility of a Ben Zobrist trade), they’re not likely to make “seismic changes.”
Indians Sign Scott Downs
The Indians have announced that they’ve signed lefty reliever Scott Downs to a minor league deal with a spring training invite. Downs will make $800K plus incentives if he makes the team, Paul Hoynes of the Plain Dealer tweets.
Downs pitched 38 innings last season for the White Sox and Royals, posting a 4.97 ERA with 5.9 K/9 and 4.7 BB/9 while suffering through diminished velocity — Downs was never a hard thrower, but his average fastball fell to 86.9 MPH in 2014. Downs had success as recently as the previous year, when he had a 2.49 ERA with 7.7 K/9 and 3.9 BB/9 for the Angels and Braves. In his 13-year career, the 38-year-old has also pitched for the Cubs, Expos and Blue Jays.
NL East Notes: Howard, Turner, Tulowitzki
GM Ruben Amaro says he’s told first baseman Ryan Howard the Phillies feel the team would be better off if he were elsewhere, Matt Lombardo of NJ.com writes (via Mike Missanelli on 97.5 The Fanatic). “I told [Howard] that in our situation it would probably bode better for the organization not with him but without him,” says Amaro. “With that said, if he’s with us, then we’ll work around him. We’ll hope he puts up the kind of numbers that we hope he can and we’ll see where it goes from there.” Amaro notes that the Phillies are not willing to release Howard. A trade, obviously, will be tricky, given the $60MM remaining on Howard’s contract. Here’s more from the NL East.
- FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal wrote Friday night that Trea Turner‘s agent, Jeff Berry of CAA, is incensed that his client must remain with the Padres until June even though San Diego has agreed to trade him to the Nationals. Turner is stuck with the Padres for now because of a rule that a drafted player can’t be traded until a year after he signs his first contract. Rosenthal’s colleague Rob Neyer notes that Turner’s situation actually isn’t that unique, and players to be named later subject to the one-year rule have stayed in their original organizations until their trades can officially be completed, typically with few ill effects. (One example is 2013 draftee Blake Taylor, who stayed in the Pirates organization for two months after the Ike Davis deal earlier this year before eventually heading to the Mets.) One aspect of Turner’s situation that is unique, though, is that it’s widely known that he’s the player to be named. The one-year rule is in place because, for better or for worse, teams aren’t supposed to trade draft picks. If MLB were to allow Turner to head to the Nationals early just because his name had been leaked, the league would be getting close to simply allowing picks to be traded.
- It would be a mistake for the Mets to trade for Troy Tulowitzki, Newsday’s David Lennon writes. Tulowitzki is a superstar when healthy, but his injury issues are a major concern for a player with six years left on his contract. The Mets have reportedly talked with the Rockies about Tulowitzki, but a deal appears unlikely right now.
West Notes: Beachy, Padres, Dodgers
The Rangers are one of several teams to have expressed interest in talented but injured former Braves pitcher Brandon Beachy, Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News writes. “Several teams are still reviewing his medicals,” agent Robert Martin says of Beachy, who is nine months removed from his second Tommy John surgery. “I do not think a decision is imminent, but he does have multiple offers.” Here are more notes from the West divisions.
- The Padres are “no longer boring” after all the work A.J. Preller has done to remake them, Yahoo! Sports’ Tim Brown writes. After Preller’s trades to acquire Justin Upton, Matt Kemp, Wil Myers, Will Middlebrooks and Derek Norris, it’s possible that Jedd Gyorko could be the only position player who started for the club on Opening Day last season who will start again next year.
- All the Padres’ moves have come at a price, and MLB.com’s Jonathan Mayo ranks the prospects San Diego has dealt to other clubs. Injured lefty Max Fried (who headed to Atlanta in the Upton deal) tops the list, followed by shortstop Trea Turner (who’s set to go to the Nationals as the player to be named in the Myers trade).
- The Dodgers have officially passed the Yankees for baseball’s highest payroll, writes MLB.com’s Paul Hagen. The Dodgers’ 2014 payroll was a record at over $257MM, and the team’s luxury tax figure of $26.6MM was also a record.
Giants Acquire Casey McGehee
SATURDAY: The Giants have officially announced the deal.
FRIDAY: The Giants have found their replacement for Pablo Sandoval, at least for the time being. San Francisco has added third baseman Casey McGehee from the Marlins in a trade that sends young righties Kendry Flores and Luis Castillo to the Fish.
Miami was said to be quite high on McGehee after he turned in a nice rebound campaign with the team last year. But the organization jumped on the chance to add Martin Prado in a deal with the Yankees, and wasted no time in moving McGehee to another team with a need at third.
McGehee had a solid return season last year for Miami, after playing one year in Japan. He slashed .287/.355/.357 over 691 plate appearances, though a .335 BABIP certainly helped with his batting average and on-base numbers. Indeed, a drastic fall in his batting average on balls in play in last season’s second half contributed to a much less productive tail end of the season for the National League Comeback Player of the Year. He ultimately checked in at about one or two wins above replacement, depending upon one’s formula of choice.
Of course, San Francisco will not expect McGehee to fully replace the production of Sandoval, who will take the field for the Red Sox next year (and for several years thereafter). McGehee will presumably be expected to hold down the position for 2015 while the team looks for longer-term solutions. And he will do so at a fairly palatable price, as he is projected by MLBTR and Matt Swartz to earn $3.5MM through arbitration this year, his final season of eligibility before reaching free agency.
Juan C. Rodriguez of the Sun-Sentinel first reported on Twitter that the deal was close. Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com tweeted that the deal was done. MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro (via Twitter) and Rodriguez (likewise) reported the return. Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle tweets that the deal is “official.”
Week In Review: 12/13/14 – 12/19/14
Here’s a look back at this week at MLBTR.
Key Moves
- The Padres acquired outfielder Wil Myers, catcher Ryan Hanigan, and pitchers Jose Castillo and Gerardo Reyes in a three-team deal, with the Rays receiving outfielder Steven Souza, catcher Rene Rivera, pitchers Burch Smith and Travis Ott, and first baseman Jake Bauers. The Nationals received pitcher Joe Ross and a PTBNL, reportedly shortstop Trea Turner.
- The Padres acquired outfielder Justin Upton and pitcher Aaron Northcraft from the Braves for pitcher Max Fried, infielder Jace Peterson, infielder Dustin Peterson, outfielder Mallex Smith and international bonus spending rights.
- The Yankees signed third baseman Chase Headley to a four-year deal.
- The White Sox signed outfielder Melky Cabrera to a three-year deal.
- The Marlins acquired infielder Martin Prado, pitcher David Phelps and cash from the Yankees for pitcher Nathan Eovaldi, first baseman Garrett Jones and pitcher Domingo German.
- The Dodgers acquired shortstop Jimmy Rollins and cash from the Phillies for pitchers Zach Eflin and Tom Windle.
Signed / Agreed To Terms
- Astros – INF Jed Lowrie (three years)
- Giants – P Jake Peavy (two years), P Sergio Romo (two years)
- Cubs – C David Ross (two years), P Jason Motte (one year)
- Royals – P Edinson Volquez (two years), OF Alex Rios (one year plus mutual option), P Kris Medlen (two years plus mutual option), P Yohan Pino (link)
- Marlins – INF/OF Michael Morse (two years)
- Rockies – INF Daniel Descalso (two years)
- Dodgers – P Brett Anderson (one year)
- Padres – P Brandon Morrow (one year)
- Indians – P Gavin Floyd (one year)
- Pirates – INF/OF Corey Hart (one year)
- Cardinals – INF Mark Reynolds (one year)
- Orioles – P Wesley Wright (one year)
- Yankees – P Chris Capuano (one year)
- Red Sox – P Craig Breslow (one year)
- Mets – OF John Mayberry Jr. (one year)
Trades
- Padres – acquired C Derek Norris, P Seth Streich and international bonus spending rights from Athletics for P Jesse Hahn and P R.J. Alvarez
- Giants – will acquire INF Casey McGehee from Marlins for P Kendry Flores and P Luis Castillo
- Padres – will acquire INF Will Middlebrooks from Red Sox for C Ryan Hanigan
- Angels – acquired OF Matt Joyce from Rays for P Kevin Jepsen
- Angels – acquired INF Johnny Giavotella from Royals for P Brian Broderick
- Yankees – acquired P Gonzalez Germen from Mets for cash
- Dodgers – acquired INF/OF Matt Long from Angels to complete the Drew Butera trade, then traded Long and P Jarret Martin to Brewers for C Shawn Zarraga
- Mariners – acquired OF Justin Ruggiano from Cubs for P Matt Brazis
- Red Sox – acquired P Anthony Varvaro from Braves for P Aaron Kurcz and cash
- Athletics – acquired P Eury De La Rosa from Diamondbacks for cash considerations
- Athletics – sent cash considerations to the Cubs to complete last summer’s Jeff Samardzija trade
- Rockies – acquired OF Noel Cuevas from Dodgers to complete the Juan Nicasio trade
- Red Sox – acquired INF Marco Hernandez from Cubs to complete the Felix Doubront trade
Avoided Arbitration
- Diamondbacks – P David Hernandez (link)
Claimed
- Cubs – C Ryan Lavarnway (from Dodgers), OF Shane Peterson (from Athletics – link)
- Blue Jays – P Juan Oramas (from Padres – link)
Designated For Assignment
- Yankees – P Preston Claiborne (link)
- Dodgers – INF/OF Kyle Jensen (link)
- Rays – P Brandon Gomes (link)
- Athletics – P Fernando Rodriguez (link)
- Mariners – P Logan Bawcom (link)
- Indians – P Nick Maronde (link)
- Rangers – P Ben Rowen, P Scott Barnes (link)
- Royals – OF Moises Sierra (link), P Casey Coleman (link)
- Astros – INF Gregorio Petit (link)
- Twins – INF/OF Chris Parmelee (link)
- Pirates – P Preston Guilmet (link)
- Cubs – P Donn Roach, INF Logan Watkins (link)
Outrighted
- Tigers – P Melvin Mercedes (link)
- Indians – P Bryan Price (link)
Released
- Dodgers – P Brian Wilson (link)
- Athletics – INF Nick Punto (link), P Jorge De Leon (link)
- Royals – OF Carlos Peguero (link)
- Angels – INF/OF Shawn O’Malley (link)
NL Notes: Friedman, Utley, Turner, Gattis, Kang, Furcal
Discussing his wide-ranging moves since taking over as the Dodgers president of baseball operations, Andrew Friedman said today that he sees the club as a “highly functional baseball team, instead of a collection of talent.” As MLB.com’s Ken Gurnick reports, Friedman says the club will remain “open-minded” about dealing away from its stock of outfielders.
- Looking ahead after the Jimmy Rollins trade, Phillies GM Ruben Amaro Jr. said that the team will continue to try to “get younger and more athletic,” as Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports. In addition to discussing various trade scenarios, the Phils have “had some dialogue with some free agents to try to increase some of our depth pitching-wise,” said Amaro. As for Chase Utley, though, Amaro said he has not had any discussions with Rollins’s long-time double-play partner about a change of scenery. “I haven’t had enough of a discussion with Chase,” said Amaro. “The only discussions I’ve had with Chase and his agent about any of that is that Chase wants to be in Philadelphia.” While Amaro did not close the door on a deal, neither did he indicate it was particularly likely. He concluded: “[Utley] has no desire to go anywhere. … [H]e wants to honor his contract and that’s how we have to perceive it.”
- The agent for reportedly soon-to-be Nationals shortstop prospect Trea Turner, Jeff Berry of CAA, expressed his frustration with the fact that Turner will be required to stay in the Padres system for six months until he is technically eligible to be named as the PTBNL in the recent three-team swap, as FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports. Expressing concern with Turner playing in an organization that lacks a direct interest in his future well-being, Berry said that he “will vigorously pursue all available courses of action to remedy this situation,” up to and potentially including the filing of a grievance action.
- The Braves are still listening on Evan Gattis, but expect to deploy him in left field unless a big offer comes through the door, Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports on Twitter.
- The Mets did not place a bid on Jung-ho Kang, Mike Puma of the New York Post tweeted earlier today. That would, of course, appear to eliminate the Mets as the possible mystery team that has won the posting.
- The Phillies are taking a look at veteran middle infielder Rafael Furcal as he plays in the Venezuelan winter league, ESPN.com’s Jerry Crasnick reports on Twitter. Furcal signed last year with the Marlins, but was never really able to get healthy. He could potentially fill a hole for the Phils at short.
Royals Release Carlos Peguero
The Royals have released outfielder Carlos Peguero, the team announced (via MLB.com’s Joey Novak). The 27-year-old had been said to be a candidate to see time as a left-handed bat for the club this year, but the recent signings of Alex Rios and Kendrys Morales largely eliminated that possibility.
Peguero saw little action last year with Kansas City, instead working for the club’s Triple-A affiliate. At that level, he posted a .912 OPS with 30 home runs in 418 plate appearances. Peguero has generally done quite well against the best arms in the minors, but has yet to receive a prolonged chance at the MLB level. He struggled to reach base in a 155-plate appearance stint back in 2011 with the Mariners, and has not gone to bat over 57 times in a big league season since.
Padres, Red Sox Swap Hanigan, Middlebrooks
9:47pm: The Red Sox have announced the one-for-one deal.
10:19am: Jon Heyman of CBS Sports tweets that the agreement is in place, but WEEI.com’s Rob Bradford tweets that the trade is contingent on Middlebrooks passing a physical.
9:56am: The Padres and Red Sox are nearing a trade that would send catcher Ryan Hanigan from San Diego to Boston in exchange for third baseman Will Middlebrooks, reports Yahoo’s Jeff Passan (Twitter link).
The Padres have yet to so much as make their acquisition of Hanigan official, as the three-team deal that will net him and outfielder Wil Myers hasn’t been announced by the clubs. However, that hasn’t stopped them from shopping around one of their newest acquisitions and figuring out the framework for a deal that seemingly helps both parties involved.
Hanigan, 34, is an excellent defensive catcher coming off a season in which he batted just .218/.318/.324 in his first season with the Rays. He’s owed a total of $8MM over the next two seasons (including the $800K buyout on a $3.75MM club option for 2017) and could pair well behind the plate with Christian Vazquez in Boston.
The 26-year-old Middlebrooks was once one of the top prospects in the Red Sox organization, but he’s yet to replicate the .288/.325/.509 batting line he put together in his rookie season of 2012. Since that time, Middlebrooks has dealt with injuries and a rapidly rising strikeout rate, both of which have contributed to a paltry .213/.265/.364 batting line from 2013-14.
Despite those struggles, Middlebrooks still has upside, and he fills a need at third base for the Padres, who can now turn to Derek Norris and Tim Federowicz behind the plate in 2015. The Red Sox were unlikely to find significant playing time for Middlebrooks anyhow after signing both Pablo Sandoval and Hanley Ramirez this offseason. While the return of a defensive-minded catcher is certainly less than Sox fans may have hoped for given past hype surrounding Middlebrooks, the swap does improve and deepen Boston’s roster for 2015.
San Diego can control Middlebrooks through the 2018 season, and he won’t be eligible for arbitration until next offseason.
Dodgers Release Brian Wilson
FRIDAY: Wilson has been given his release, as SB Nation’s Eric Stephen was first to report.
TUESDAY: The Dodgers have designated reliever Brian Wilson, the club announced. The move creates roster space for the addition of Brandon McCarthy.
While the end of Wilson’s tenure comes as something of a shock given his stout $9.5MM salary for next season, the fact is that he was not good at all last year. The 32-year-old pitched to a 4.22 ERA over 48 1/3 innings, with 10.1 K/9 against 5.4 BB/9.
He had shown excellent form over a short sample late in 2013, leading the Dodgers (under then-GM Ned Colletti) to award him a $10MM deal with a player option that floated in value and ultimately came in at $9.5MM. While it is likely that another team would be interested in bringing in Wilson to compete for a job in camp, his value obviously falls well shy of what he is owed.
The new brass in Los Angeles has been aggressive in turning over its roster, eating significant cash in the process. Wilson’s $9.5MM salary joins the $10MM owed to Dan Haren and $32MM piece of Matt Kemp‘s contract as cash on the books for players who are no longer on the team’s roster.
