The column is from Sunday, but we missed a lot of good stuff from Nick Cafardo’s latest.
- Finally an answer! Cafardo learned that teams can sign as many as nine Type A or B free agents this year. So to all those who emailed: yes, the Yankees can technically sign Manny Ramirez. I tried to decipher the quota section of the Basic Agreement in October, but didn’t come up with nine.
- At some point this winter, the Red Sox made an offer to Takashi Saito.
- Cafardo says Boston does not have interest in Michael Young.
- The Brewers and A’s "are big on" Mark Mulder. The Red Sox will also watch him throw this month.
- Luis Gonzalez is likely to sign somewhere as a fourth outfielder.