The hot stove jumped into another gear this past week, with several trades and free agent signings going down. Let's recap...
- Last Sunday we heard that the Braves' pursuit of a hitter could pick up during the week, and sure enough they soon traded Omar Infante and Mike Dunn to the Marlins for slugger Dan Uggla. Florida intends to focus on pitching now, and they have interest in Javier Vazquez (it's mutual). The Nationals could make Vazquez an offer this week, however.
- The first two significant free agents came off the board, as the Marlins signed John Buck (three years, $18MM) and the Tigers signed Joaquin Benoit (three years, $16.5MM).
- Two starting pitchers re-signed with their old clubs. The Dodgers brought back Hiroki Kuroda to a one-year, $12MM contract while the Cardinals re-upped Jake Westbrook for two years and $16.5MM with a third year option.
- Miscellaneous trades: The Blue Jays traded a pair of prospects for Rajai Davis, the Rockies and Astros swapped Clint Barmes and Felipe Paulino. and the Yankees flipped Juan Miranda to the Diamondbacks for prospect Scottie Allen.
- The D'Backs were featured prominently this week, and not just because they signed Geoff Blum to a two-year, $2.7MM contract or have interest in J.J. Putz. GM Kevin Towers said he'd listen to offers for Justin Upton, but he's asking for a ton in return. Upton has four teams on his no-trade list.
- Gavin Floyd is reportedly on the market and the Rockies have shown interest. They also have interest in Kevin Kouzmanoff, Jorge Cantu, Jose Lopez, Ty Wigginton, and Kevin Millwood. Colorado released Manny Corpas and has drawn the line at three years with Jorge de la Rosa,
- Derek Jeter wants a four-year deal from the Yankees, but they offered three years and $45MM. The Yanks also have interest in Pedro Feliciano and J.C. Romero, as well as Bill Hall. New York is expected to sign Dominican righty Rafael DePaula.
- Infielder Tsuyoshi Nishioka was posted by the Chiba Lotte Marines, and the Red Sox, Twins, and Orioles will submit bids. The O's also have interest in J.J. Hardy and Jason Bartlett.
- The Rangers met with Cliff Lee this past week, though Nolan Ryan expects to be outbid. Texas did sign free agent (but former sixth overall pick) Barret Loux for $312K.
- Brewers GM Doug Melvin told reporters that he's not shopping Prince Fielder while Scott Boras said that Manny Ramirez is seeking a one-year, incentive-laden contract to DH somewhere. Vladimir Guerrero is seeking a multiyear deal. Both the White Sox and Tigers met with Adam Dunn and his agent, and several teams have interest in Josh Willingham.
- The Orioles and 11 other teams have interest in Adrian Beltre, but the Athletics offered him five years and $64MM. The Red Sox will not go more than four years, however.
- The A's, meanwhile, broke off talks with Hisashi Iwakuma because of his contract demands.
- The Mets have a new manager, giving the job to Terry Collins. Twins manager Ron Gardenhire received a two-year contract extension. Drayton McLane announced his decision to put the Astros up for sale.
- The Phillies re-signed Jose Contreras to a two-year deal worth $5.5MM with a option for a third year, and they also have interest in Hisanori Takahashi. The Reds claimed Takahashi but were unable to work out a deal before he became a free agent.
- Yorvit Torrealba cut ties with the Padres and three clubs have interest in Miguel Olivo. The Reds re-signed Ramon Hernandez (one-year, $3MM).
- The Red Sox claimed Taylor Buchholz off waivers and are willing to trade Marco Scutaro.
- The Pirates designated three for assignment: Zach Duke, Andy LaRoche, and Delwyn Young.
- The Indians re-signed Anthony Reyes, but the big news in Cleveland is that Shin-Soo Choo will likely be exempt from mandatory military service back home in South Korea.
- Several players are trying to make comebacks, including Bartolo Colon, slugger Wily Mo Pena, and former Athletic Eric Chavez.
- "Six or eight" teams have shown interest in Carl Pavano while five have done the same with Jeff Francis and four with Brandon Webb.
- The Dodgers selected outfielder Anthony Jackson from the Rockies to complete September's Octavio Dotel trade.
Lannan Accepts Mets' Outright Assignment Chris Snyder Retires Pirates Designate Travis Ishikawa For Assignment Jason Bartlett To Retire Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Athletics Extend Sean Doolittle Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Quick Hits: Prospects, Pirates, Brewers NL East Notes: Mets, Braves West Notes: Padres, A's, Angels Lannan Accepts Mets' Outright Assignment NL Notes: Braves, Mets, Cubs, Willis White Sox Place Donnie Veal On Outright Waivers Rosenthal On Diamondbacks, Braves, Drew Chris Snyder Retires Pirates Designate Travis Ishikawa For Assignment NL Notes: Polanco, Bradley, Abreu AL Notes: Orioles, Izturis, Rangers, Bartlett Week In Review: 4/13/14 - 4/19/14 Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen West Notes: Trout, Kazmir, Padres Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors