Let's take a look back at a busy week here at MLBTR..
- The Rangers agreed to sign Yu Darvish to a six-year deal in the $60MM range. Bonuses in the deal could tack another $10MM on to the contract. Darvish can opt out of the contract after the fifth year but must hit high-end award levels in order to earn that option. The right-hander will earn $5.5MM in 2012, $9.5MM in 2013, $10MM annually from 2014-2016, and $11MM in 2017.
- The Nationals and Gio Gonzalez agreed to terms on a five-year contract extension. The deal runs through 2016, with club options for 2017 and 2018, and comes less than a month after the Nationals sent four prospects to the Athletics to acquire Gonzalez. Gonzalez, 26, was eligible for arbitration for the first time as a Super Two this winter.
- The Red Sox traded Marco Scutaro to the Rockies for Clayton Mortenson, freeing up $6MM on their payroll. The extra breathing room could allow the club to bolster their rotation and it's worth noting that they've stepped up their pursuit of Roy Oswalt. Boston also avoided arbitration with Daniel Bard this week.
- The Rays agreed to sign Carlos Pena to a one-year, $7.25MM deal that will bring the powerful first baseman back to Tampa Bay. Pena, 33, posted a .225/.357/.462 line with 28 home runs in 606 plate appearances for the Cubs in 2011.
- Tons of arbitration eligible players agreed to deals with their respective clubs this week. To get caught up on everything, check out MLBTR's arbitration tracker.
- The Giants and Pablo Sandoval agreed to a three-year extension worth $17.15MM plus incentives. The deal doesn't delay his free agency -- he's still on track to hit the open market after the 2014 season.
- Speaking of the Giants, they appear to be close with Tim Lincecum on a new contract. The club offered a two-year, $40MM contract and the pitcher's representatives have countered with a two-year, $44MM offer. The hurler filed for a $21.5MM salary through arbitration and the Giants countered at $17MM. Both figures set new records for players with less than six years of service time.
- The Braves and Australian right-hander Peter Moylan agreed to a one-year, $1MM minor league deal.
- The Indians signed Julio Lugo to a minor league contract with an invitation to Spring Training.
- The Brewers signed outfielder Norichika Aoki to a two-year deal that includes a club option for 2014. Aoki will earn $1MM in 2012 and $1.25MM in 2013 but with incentives and bonuses, he can make a a little over $8.6MM over three years. Thanks in part to the Aoki deal, GM Bob Melvin says the club is way over budget.
- The Athletics acquired outfielder Seth Smith from the Rockies for righty Guillermo Moscoso and lefty Josh Outman.
- The Rangers have been the middle of the Prince Fielder rumormill but team co-owner Bob Simpson says that he's not an option at his asking price, and that he'd prefer to re-sign Josh Hamilton instead.
- Before adding Scutaro to the fold, it was reported that the Rockies "remain strongly interested" in Justin Turner.
- The Rockies and Rafael Betancourt agreed to a contract extension guaranteeing his $4.25MM mutual option for 2013. The deal adds an option at the same salary for 2014. The Octagon client will earn $4MM in 2012 as part of his current contract.
- The Padres avoided arbitration with outfielder Carlos Quentin for $7.025MM.
- On Friday, the Nationals announced that they agreed to sign Michael Morse to a contract extension. Morse's deal is reportedly worth about $10.5MM over two years.
- The Indians acquired starting pitcher Kevin Slowey and $1.25MM from the Rockies for right-handed reliever Zach Putnam. With the cash acquired, the Tribe will pay Slowey just $1.5MM in 2012.
- This week we learned that Fausto Carmona's real name is Roberto Hernandez Heredia and he is actually 31, not 28. The right-hander's chances of obtaining a visa quickly don't seem good. It appears unlikely that the Indians will void his contract, but he has to get to the U.S. to get paid this year.
- The Athletics are "very interested" in adding Manny Ramirez as a designated hitter for 2012.
- The A's also agreed to sign Jonny Gomes to a deal worth approximately $1.1MM. Gomes, 31, posted a .209/.325/.389 line with 14 homers in 372 plate appearances for the Reds and Nationals in 2011.
- The D'Backs will sign free agent Joe Saunders to a one-year deal after non-tendering him in December. Saunders will get $6MM, or $2.7MM less than his projected salary through arbitration.
- On Wednesday it was reported that the Nats are discussing a contract extension with Ryan Zimmerman.
- The White Sox are still listening on righty Gavin Floyd and the Red Sox are among the interested teams.
- The Red Sox agreed to terms with right-hander Aaron Cook on a minor league contract. The deal is worth $1.5MM prorated if Cook is called up to the Major Leagues.
- The Rangers signed Brad Hawpe to a minor league deal that includes an invitation to Major League Spring Training. The veteran will earn $1MM plus bonuses if he makes the Opening Day roster.
- The Reds will sign free agent outfielder Ryan Ludwick to a one-year deal that includes a mutual option for 2013.
- The Blue Jays gave Mark Teahen his unconditional release. They designated him for assignment earlier in the month and will be responsible for paying his $5.5MM salary in 2012.
- The Giants avoided arbitration with Sergio Romo, agreeing to a one-year, $1.575MM deal.
- The Twins and Joel Zumaya agreed to a one-year contract which could pay the Hendricks Sports client anywhere from $800K to $1.7MM based on incentives.
- The Orioles agreed to sign 34-year-old left-hander Dennys Reyes to a minor league deal, a source told MLBTR's Ben Nicholson-Smith.
- The Red Sox reached an agreement with righty Vicente Padilla that will pay him $1.5MM if he makes the big league roster.
- The Astros have agreed to sign Jack Cust to a one-year deal with a club option for 2013.
- The Rockies agreed to sign 49-year-old left-hander Jamie Moyer to a minor league deal.
- The O's signed Armando Galarraga to a minor league contract.
- The Astros announced that they signed catcher Chris Snyder to a one-year deal that includes a mutual option for 2013.
- The Mariners signed left-hander Oliver Perez to a minor league deal.
- The Reds agreed to a minor league deal with catcher Dioner Navarro.
- The Phillies officially signed Joel Pineiro to a minor league contract with a spring training invite.
- Longtime MLB shortstop Orlando Cabrera announced his retirement from baseball. Cabrera spent 15 seasons in the Major Leagues, winning two Gold Gloves and collecting 2,055 hits along the way.
- The Cubs signed Rodrigo Lopez to a minor league deal with an invitation to spring training.
- Our own Nick Collias passed along a report from Mexican magazine Puro Béisbol that reliever Luis Ayala is weighing offers from the Angels and the Orioles and could sign with one of the two soon.
- The Blue Jays agreed to sign 37-year-old right-hander Nelson Figueroa to a minor league contract.
- The Indians agreed to sign free agent outfielder Ryan Spilborghs to a minor league deal.
- The Indians announced that they signed outfielder Fred Lewis and right-handed reliever Jeremy Accardo to minor league deals.
- The Rays signed second baseman Will Rhymes, outfielder Jesus Feliciano and right-handed reliever Romulo Sanchez to minor league deals.
- The Cubs completed their minor league deal with catcher Jason Jaramillo, MLBTR's Tim Dierkes learned.
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
NL Notes: Taveras, Stutes, Flores, Cervelli Minor Moves: Rodriguez, Stutes, Hester, Carson, Olmsted Ervin Santana Rumors: Tuesday Offseason In Review: Chicago White Sox Out Of Options Players: NL East MLBTR Chat Transcript Orioles Notes: Machado, Extensions, Santana, Schoop Kris Medlen Believed To Have Ligament Damage Angels Release Mark Mulder Central Links: Diaz, Scherzer, Capuano, Indians, Coke Quick Hits: Schierholtz, Diaz, Smoak, McGrady AL East Notes: Sizemore, Machado, Cervelli Braves Could Make Run At Ervin Santana Diamondbacks Outright Santos Rodriguez Offseason In Review: San Francisco Giants
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors