- Mets Nearing Extension With Juan Lagares
- Mariners, Rays Swap Erasmo Ramirez For Mike Montgomery
- Dodgers Release Dustin McGowan, Will Pay Mike Adams Roster Bonus
- MLBPA Issues Statement On Bryant, Prospect Promotions
- Pirates Discussing Extension With Gregory Polanco
- Mets Acquire Jerry Blevins
- Kris Bryant To Begin Season In Minors
- Mets Acquire Alex Torres
- Red Sox Acquire Sandy Leon; Christian Vazquez Placed On 60-Day DL
- Rangers Release Ryan Ludwick
Trade Rumors Apps
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 Arbitration Tracker
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2015
- Free Agent Contest Leaderboard
- Reverse Standings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- $100K MLB Contest At DraftKings
- Andrew McKirahan Claimed By Unknown Team
- Minor Moves: Matt Tuiasosopo
- Mets Nearing Extension With Juan Lagares
- Phillies Outright Phillippe Aumont, Miguel Gonzalez
- Astros Designate Alex Presley For Assignment
- Aaron Crow Likely Facing Tommy John Surgery
- Nationals Release Kevin Frandsen
- Padres Actively Taking Calls On Relievers
- Blue Jays Notes: Travis, Pompey, Bullpen, Santiago
- Mariners, Rays Swap Erasmo Ramirez For Mike Montgomery
- Article XX(B) Free Agent Updates: Tuesday
- Royals Notes: Hochevar, Morales, Flynn, Madson, Blanton
- NL West Notes: Gutierrez, Ethier, Dodgers, Padres
- Giants Designate Gary Brown For Assignment, Add Justin Maxwell To Roster
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Alfredo Amezaga Rumors
The Dodgers signed Alfredo Amezaga to a minor league deal with an invite to big league spring training, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter). The utility man spent last season with the Cubs' Triple-A affiliate.
In 113 games with Triple-A Iowa, Amezaga hit .274/.336/.372 with six homers. The 34-year-old also has spent parts of nine years in the big leagues with a career slash line of .247/.307/.333 for the Marlins, Angels, Rockies and Pirates.
Amezaga appeared in 40 games with the Rockies and Marlins in 2011, playing short, second, third and both outfield corners. He posted a .182/.247/.195 line in 87 plate appearances, but owns a career line of .247/.307/.333 in nine seasons with the Angels, Rockies, Pirates and Marlins. His most productive years came from 2006-08, when he posted a .675 OPS as a super utility player in Florida.
The Marlins acquired Amezaga from the Rockies for minor league infielder Jesus Merchan last month. In 87 plate appearances for Colorado and Florida this season, Amezaga has a .182/.247/.195 line. He has appeared at second, short, third and both corner outfield positions. In parts of nine big league seasons, Amezaga has a .247/.307/.333 career line.
Florida acquired Amezaga from the Rockies roughly a month ago for minor league infielder Jesus Merchan. At the time, the veteran was excited to get another chance with his former club, but the reunion was short-lived. Amezaga played four seasons for the Marlins from 2006 through 2009.
Let's check out a few items from the National League West..
- While some Rockies fans are clamoring for the Mets' David Wright, Troy E. Renck of The Denver Post says that the club should zero in on Twins outfielder Michael Cuddyer this offseason. While Cuddyer alone won't make Colorado a playoff team next year, he would provide them with a much needed power corner outfield bat.
- The Giants are 2-8 since acquiring Carlos Beltran, but it's not fair to expect him to turn the offense around by himself, writes Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com.
- The Padres' expanded scouting department made pulling off the Mike Adams deal rather easy, writes MLB.com's Corey Brock. The club has hired eight new scouts since A.J. Hinch took over as vice president of the department which allowed them to have more than nine different looks at pitchers Robbie Erlin and Joe Wieland.
- Veteran Alfredo Amezaga, who was shipped from the Rockies to the Marlins yesterday, is delighted to get a new start with his former club, writes Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald.
Links for Saturday evening..
- Without directly saying so, Mets GM Sandy Alderson intimated that it's no big deal that first-round pick Brandon Nimmo remains unsigned, writes Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com.
- After dealing right-hander Alex White and left-hander Drew Pomeranz, Paul Hoynes of the Plain Dealer looks at the arms that remain in the Indians' farm system.
- Suddenly, the Rays find themselves with a surplus of catchers, writes MLB.com's Bill Chastain.
- Royals first-round pick Bubba Starling is not on Nebraska football's official 105-man roster and won't practice at NU until he decides on his baseball future, tweets Rustin Dodd of the Kansas City Star.
- Indians prospect Drew Pomeranz officially transferred from Double-A Akron to the Arizona League Indians today, tweets MLB.com's Jordan Bastian. Pomeranz will work out in Arizona until he can officially be dealt to the Rockies on August 15th.
- The newest member of the Marlins Alfredo Amezaga has always been known as utility man but reports are that he's gained a bit of weight and is better suited for either second or third base rather than shortstop, writes Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald.
We'll keep track of all the day's outrighted players right here:
- Alfredo Amezaga, designated for assignment by the Rockies on May 29th to create a spot for Chris Nelson, cleared waivers and has been assigned to Triple-A, tweets the team.
- Henry Sosa, who was designated for assignment by the Giants last week, cleared waivers and was outrighted to Double-A, according to Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle (on Twitter).
- Robinson Tejeda cleared waivers and was assigned to Triple-A, according to Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star (on Twitter). The Royals designated Tejeda for assignment last week to create roster space for hard-throwing right-hander Felipe Paulino.
- Dallas McPherson cleared waivers and was outrighted to Triple-A, according to Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune (on Twitter). The White Sox designated the infielder for assignment Monday after he collected a pair of singles in 15 plate appearances over the course of 11 games. The 30-year-old former top prospect had a characteristically strong .305/.366/.458 line in Triple-A Charlotte before getting the call to the Majors.
The Rockies have designated Alfredo Amezega for assignment and recalled Chris Nelson from Triple-A, according to the team's Twitter feed. Tracy Ringolsby of FOX Sports first tweeted that Nelson would replace Amezaga on Colorado's roster.
Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reported on Thursday that the Rockies were looking to shake up their bench, with Amezaga and Jose Lopez in jeopardy of losing their roster spots. Lopez was DFA'd later that night.
Amezaga, 33, has hit .242/.297/.273 in 38 plate appearances for the Rockies in 2011. The utility player, who signed a minor league deal with Colorado in January, played in 20 games for the team, seeing time at second base, shortstop, third base, and right field.
The Rockies are dissatisfied with their lack of athleticism and plan to shake up their bench, major-league sources tell Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. The players that are most in jeopardy are infielders Alfredo Amezaga and Jose Lopez while they seem sweet on the idea of promoting Eric Young Jr. and Chris Nelson.
Lopez has a minor-league option remaining, but his five-plus years of Major League service allow him to reject a demotion and choose free agency. If that happens, Rosenthal writes that he would likely clear waivers and sign a Triple-A contract elsewhere. Lopez is signed to a one-year, $3.6MM contract and sources say that he's generating minimal trade interest.
The versatile Amezaga would also be exposed to waivers if the Rockies tried to demote him to Triple-A.
Some links to browse through during your Sunday evening…
- Add the Rangers to the list of clubs that are not interested in recently released Carlos Silva, reports MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan (on Twitter). The Yankees and Cardinals are also out.
- The Angels can opt out of their stadium lease in 2016, but owner Arte Moreno told Mike DiGiovanna of The Los Angeles Times that the team has not begun exploring the possibility of building a new stadium. That process would have to start at least four years before the planned opening date.
- Indians manager Manny Acta told MLB.com's Jordan Bastian that there are likely to be roster moves made on Monday when the 25-man roster is finalized (Twitter link).
- Tom Krasovic spoke to several scouts about teams and players from all around the game.
- In regard to CBA talks, Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe writes that the "general consensus is that a hangup or even the slightest threat of a work stoppage would be shocking."
- Within the same piece, Cafardo says the Twins aren't as willing to deal Kevin Slowey as it may seem. One scout opined that the right-hander is "throwing too well for them to deal him."
- The Rockies continue to receive calls about their middle-infield depth, but the club isn't looking to move either Eric Young Jr. or Alfredo Amezaga, according to Troy Renck of the Denver Post.
- Dave Bush earned a spot in the Rangers' bullpen as a long man, tweets Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Bush would have opted out of his contract today if he didn't make the team.
- The Red Sox' bullpen depth has drawn interest from other teams, a source tells Alex Speier of WEEI.com.
MLBTR's Luke Adams & Mike Axisa contributed to this post.