- Chad Qualls Claimed On Revocable Waivers
- Feldman, Colon Clear Revocable Waivers
- Rays Pull Escobar Off Revocable Waivers
- Athletics Acquire Geovany Soto
- Indians Acquire Chris Gimenez
- Red Sox Sign Rusney Castillo
- Angels Acquire Gordon Beckham
- Garrett Richards Out 6-9 Months
- Indians Extend Scott Atchison
- Rob Manfred Elected As Next Commissioner
- Pirates Acquire John Axford
- Royals Acquire Josh Willingham
- Tyler Skaggs Requires Tommy John Surgery
- Dodgers Acquire Kevin Correia
- Cubs Acquire Jacob Turner
- Angels Acquire Vinnie Pestano
- Dodgers Acquire Roberto Hernandez
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Reverse Standings
- Players Who Have Cleared Revocable Waivers
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- MLBTR iPad/iPhone App
- MLBTR Android App
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Latest On Trade Market For Bartolo Colon
- Astros Pull Back Chad Qualls
- Placed On Revocable Waivers: Wednesday
- Minor Moves: Brignac, Aceves, Joseph
- Latest On Astros And Brady Aiken, Jacob Nix
- Manny Machado Likely Out For Season
- Yankees To Sign Chris Young
- Blue Jays Designate Sergio Santos For Assignment
- AL West Notes: Angels, Zduriencik, Chirinos
- Mat Latos, Mike Leake On Revocable Waivers
- Quick Hits: AFL, Sanchez, Breakouts, Prado
- Latest On Angels’ Search For Starter
- NL East Notes: Duda, Colon, Gonzalez, Stanton, Venters
- Angels Designate Wade LeBlanc For Assignment
- Mariners Extend GM Jack Zduriencik
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Chad Huffman Rumors
The Indians claimed Chad Huffman off of waivers from the Yankees and optioned him to Triple A, according to MLB.com's Bryan Hoch (on Twitter). The Yankees, who claimed Huffman from the Padres in April, designated him for assignment earlier in the week.
Huffman, a 25-year-old outfielder, struggled through 21 plate appearances for the Yankees back in June and July, but hit 274/.353/.410 at Triple A this year. It was the first time in his five-year minor league career that he posted an OPS under .800. The 2006 second-rounder made the Pacific Coast League All-Star team a year ago and won the league's Home Run Derby.
Links for Thursday…
- If you're viewing MLBTR on your cell phone, try mlbtraderumors.mobi!
- Alan Embree expects to exercise the opt out clause in his contract if he's not added to the Red Sox's big league roster by April 15th, reports WEEI.com's Ethan Landy.
- MASNSports.com about how a Major League trade comes together. Check it out, very interesting stuff.
- C. Trent Rosecrans of CNATI.com learned from Reds GM Walt Jocketty last night that the team has yet to have contract extension discussions with first baseman Joey Votto. Yesterday we speculated on what it might take to lock Votto up long-term.
- An interesting Rays-centric back-and-forth continues, with Jeff Passan filing a reubttal on Jonah Keri's site.
- MLB.com's Adam McCalvy looks at the recent instances of teams signing home-grown pitchers to extensions.
- Phillies shortstop Jimmy Rollins was on the Dan Patrick Show talking about the surprise he and Jayson Werth felt when Cliff Lee was dealt. Rollins said the Yankees would've kept Lee and Roy Halladay and made a run with the pair of aces.
- Padres exec Paul DePodesta explains that while it was painful to lose Chad Huffman to a waiver claim, there's a silver lining in the organization's improved depth.
- Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe has the details on Josh Beckett's new contract with the Red Sox, which totals $68,520,403.
- Many lesser-known players have been released in recent days; Baseball America's Matt Eddy has the details.
WEDNESDAY, 1:28pm: The Yankees claimed Huffman off waivers from the Padres, tweets ESPN's Buster Olney. Huffman will head to Triple A. Baseball America ranked Huffman 21st among Padres prospects, noting his strong batting eye and good power but various limitations. Their bottom line quote: "He looks like a future regular on his best days and a part-timer on his worst." Mike Axisa of River Ave. Blues and MLBTR has a hunch Kevin Towers' fingerprints are all over this pickup.
Huffman, 25 later this month, was a second-round pick for the Friars back in 2006. He hit .269/.361/.469 for the Padres Triple-A affiliate in Portland last season, but managed just one hit in 23 spring at-bats. For his career in the minors, Huffman owns a respectable .289/.385/.474 line over four seasons and 1885 plate appearances.