Links for Wednesday, on an eerily quiet day for baseball fans…
- Red Sox GM Theo Epstein told Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald that there aren't many All-Star caliber players available on the trade market right now.
- It's "very likely" that the Marlins make moves between now and July 31st, according to MLB.com's Joe Frisaro (Twitter link).
- The Padres claimed 25-year-old outfielder Quintin Berry from the Phillies, according to Dan Hayes of the North County Times (via Twitter). Berry has a .606 OPS at AA so far in 2010.
- The Dodgers have fielded multiple calls on Jamey Carroll's availability, as Tim Dierkes noted on Twitter earlier today.
- Like everyone else in the baseball world, Albert Pujols' agent expects the Cardinals to pick up the slugger's $16MM option for 2011. Dan Lozano told Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports that Pujols is open to talking about an extension in the offseason. Cards GM John Mozeliak confirmed on Twitter that the team won't initiate discussions before then.
- Some of Derrek Lee's friends tell Jon Paul Morosi and Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports that they believe the first baseman would waive his no-trade clause for the right deal. The Angels would prefer to pursue someone who isn't under contract next year, so they could be a fit for Lee.
- Dave Cameron of FanGraphs ranks Justin Verlander 35th among the MLB players with the most trade value.