Let's take a look back at the week that was:
- Felix Hernandez agreed to continue his reign in Seattle, inking a five-year, $78MM deal with the M's. The contract buys out his two remaining years of arbitration plus three years of free agency.
- The Red Sox and closer Jonathan Papelbon agreed to a one-year deal worth $9.35MM. Incentives could put another $150K in the 29-year-old's bank account.
- The Phillies avoided arbitration with Joe Blanton and Shane Victorino, signing them each to three-year deals worth $24MM and $22MM, respectively.
- The Angels landed free agent pitcher Joel Pineiro for $16MM over two years. St. Louis will receive a first round pick as compensation for losing the Type-B free agent.
- Josh Johnson officially signed a four-year, $39MM extension with the Marlins.
- The Dodgers locked up Andre Ethier and Jonathan Broxton, inking them both to two-year deals. Broxton will earn $11MM in his final two years of being contractually controlled. Ethier, meanwhile, will still be under Dodger control for one more year following his contract, which could be worth as much as $15.625MM.
- Tim Lincecum filed for $13MM in arbitration while the Giants submitted $8MM.
- Meanwhile, Justin Verlander filed for $9.5MM in arbitration while the Tigers countered with $6.9MM.
- Johnny Damon is still without a team, but this week we learned that the Yankees would welcome him back - at the right price, of course. We could see Damon sign somewhere shortly, as he told Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger that he "should have a team in a week."
- The Orioles agreed to a one-year, $6MM deal with Miguel Tejada, who will play third for the first time in his major league career. This means that Garrett Atkins, who signed a one-year, $4.5MM deal with the O's, will play first.
- Colorado locked up two key bullpen pieces - Huston Street and Rafael Betancourt. Street, who was arb-eligible for the final time, agreed to a three-year deal worth $22.5MM with an option for a fourth year. Meanwhile, Betancourt agreed to a two-year deal for $3.775MM per year.
- Milwaukee signed Doug Davis to a one-year deal worth $5.25MM guaranteed, including the $1MM buyout of his 2011 mutual option. The mutual option would pay the 34-year-old $6.5MM in total.
- The Giants re-signed Bengie Molina to a one-year deal worth $4.5MM. Molina accepted San Francisco's offer despite a one-year, $5MM offer from the Mets.
- The Mets received outfielder Gary Matthews Jr. in exchange for reliever Brian Stokes. The Halos will pick up all but $2MM of the $23.5MM remaining on his deal.
- Rick Ankiel agreed to a one-year deal for $3.25MM with the Royals. The contract includes up to $500K in incentives and a mutual option for 2011 worth $6MM.
- After weeks of speculation, the Pirates finally signed Octavio Dotel to a one-year deal with a club option for 2011. Dotel will earn $3.25MM in 2010 and $4.5MM in 2011, if the option is exercised.
- The Dodgers brought Vicente Padilla back on a one-year, $5.025MM deal. However, GM Ned Colletti says that it is unlikely that the Dodgers can afford to sign another free agent pitcher.
- A pair of former Mets landed minor league deals with the Rockies, Paul Lo Duca and Jay Payton.
- Jim Edmonds is looking to make a comeback in 2010, and he may get his opportunity in St. Louis.
- Carl Pavano and the Twins avoided arbitration, agreeing to a one-year pact worth $7MM. The contract does not include any incentives.
- A pair of aging sluggers found homes in the NL West as Matt Stairs signed with the Padres and Jason Giambi agreed to return to the Rockies for $1.75MM.
- We heard that the Nationals are interested in Orlando Hudson as well as Orlando Cabrera. Hudson is allegedly seeking $9MM per year.
- The Indians acquired shortstop Brian Bixler from the Pirates in exchange for infielder Jesus Brito.
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
AL Notes: Kipnis, Sizemore, Mulder Ervin Santana Rumors: Tuesday NL Notes: Taveras, Stutes, Flores, Cervelli Minor Moves: Rodriguez, Stutes, Hester, Carson, Olmsted Offseason In Review: Chicago White Sox Out Of Options Players: NL East MLBTR Chat Transcript Orioles Notes: Machado, Extensions, Santana, Schoop Kris Medlen Believed To Have Ligament Damage Angels Release Mark Mulder Central Links: Diaz, Scherzer, Capuano, Indians, Coke Quick Hits: Schierholtz, Diaz, Smoak, McGrady AL East Notes: Sizemore, Machado, Cervelli Braves Could Make Run At Ervin Santana Diamondbacks Outright Santos Rodriguez
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors