It's time to take a look back at the week that was..
- After months and months of speculation, the Red Sox and Padres agreed to a deal that would send Adrian Gonzalez to Boston for Casey Kelly, Anthony Rizzo, and Reymond Fuentes. Gonzalez and Boston had until 2pm EST to reach agreement on a new contract but were unable to get anything done. Eventually, Boston relented and pulled the trigger on the trade.
- No surprise here, the Yankees and Derek Jeter hammered out a new three-year deal with a fourth-year option worth at least $56MM. Before he re-upped with the Bombers, five teams called to express interest in him, though the shortstop never considered going elsewhere.
- The Bombers also re-upped another piece of their core four when they gave Mariano Rivera a two-year, $30MM deal. The Red Sox and Angels were two of three teams to offer the closer a three-year contract. Rivera has indicated that this contract could be his last, but he's said that before.
- Troy Tulowitzki agreed to an extension that will keep him in Colorado until 2020. The shortstop will earn $119MM over the course of the deal. The extension was unexpected as he was already in the midst of a six-year, $31MM extension he signed before the 2008 season.
- What a week for the White Sox. GM Kenny Williams landed free agent slugger Adam Dunn and re-signed catcher A.J. Pierzynski. Dunn will get up to four-years, $56MM while Pierzynski will get $8MM over two seasons.
- The best pitcher on the open market, Cliff Lee, is still out there. The Rangers won't say whether they've made the ace a formal offer. It seems to be a two-horse race for Lee's services, though that could change.
- Jorge de la Rosa reached agreement with the Rockies on a three-year, $32MM deal. The pitcher holds a player option on the third year of the contract while Colorado has a team option for year four for $11MM.
- One of the most surprising moves of the week came when the Cardinals signed Lance Berkman to a one-year, $8MM deal. The veteran hasn't played in the outfield since 2007 but will start in left field for St. Louis.
- Juan Uribe landed the first multiyear deal of his career when he left the Giants for the Dodgers. The infielder is set to earn $21MM over three seasons. Uribe will serve as the Dodgers second baseman but could also play some third and, obviously, shortstop.
- Miguel Tejada landed in San Francisco on a one-year, $6.5MM deal. The contract includes a $500K bonus and gives the Giants a shortstop after losing Juan Uribe to the Dodgers in free agency.
- Toronto continues to show interest in Royals ace Zack Greinke. Meanwhile, the Rangers are dreaming of a scenario in which they can re-sign Cliff Lee and also acquire Greinke. Kansas City won't trade him anywhere inside of the division but the field could be pretty open as Greinke seems willing to consider big market teams. The market for the hurler could heat up once Lee finally signs.
- We've heard Heath Bell's name in trade rumors for some time now but there are conflicting reports as to whether or not the Padres will deal him.
- The Cards acquired second baseman Ryan Theriot from the Dodgers in exchange for righty Blake Hawksworth.
- Toronto and Arizona have discussed a deal for Mark Reynolds, though the slugger won't be dealt to the Padres. The Orioles are also said to be interested.
- Texas has "kicked the tires" on Carl Crawford but the club seems much more interested in Paul Konerko. Most league execs feel that Konerko will be back with the White Sox. Both Dunn and Pierzynski will accept deferred money in their contracts in order to give the club the flexibility needed to keep Konerko. The O's made a significant offer to the veteran.
- San Francisco brought Pat Burrell back on a one-year deal worth $1MM. The deal does not include any incentives.
- The Braves acquired Scott Linebrink and a check for $3.5MM from the White Sox for minor league pitcher Kyle Cofield.
- Pitcher Bronson Arroyo inked a three-year, $35MM extension with the Reds this week. The contract is similar to the one the Dodgers gave Ted Lilly.
- Javier Vazquez is returning to the National League after signing a one-year, $7MM deal with the Marlins.
- The Yankees and five other clubs are interested in free agent catcher Russell Martin. The Yanks tried to deal for him before he was non-tendered by the Dodgers.
- Colorado acquired Jose Lopez from the Mariners for right-hander Chaz Roe on Thursday.
- Earlier this week Toronto acquired pitcher Carlos Villanueva from the Brewers for a player to be named later.
- The Padres agreed to terms on a one-year, $3MM deal with pitcher Aaron Harang. The San Diego native should do well in Petco.
- The Cubs and Nats are stepping up their pursuit of Brandon Webb.
- Jim Thome plans on playing in 2011.
- Hisanori Takahashi received a two-year deal worth $8MM from the Halos.
- Jason Varitek will return for a 15th season in Boston after agreeing to a one-year, $2MM deal.
- The D'Backs avoided arbitration with pitcher Zach Duke by agreeing to a one-year deal for $3.5MM with a $5.5MM mutual option for 2012.
- Minnesota avoided arbitration with Jason Repko and Pat Neshek.
- Atlanta re-signed Eric Hinske to a one-year deal with an option for 2012.
- The White Sox exercised their option on Alexei Ramirez.
- The Dodgers will welcome back Rod Barajas in 2011 after agreeing to a one-year, $3.25MM deal with the backstop.
- Pittsburgh signed a trio of interesting players to minor league deals.
- Kansas City agreed to one-year deals with Wilson Betemit and Brayan Pena.
Twins Sign Kohl Stewart Red Sox Sign Trey Ball Mike Zagurski Elects Free Agency Padres To Release James Darnell Mets Acquire Eric Young For McHugh; Designate Cowgill Yankees Acquire Fernando Martinez Yankees Designate Chris Bootcheck Diamondbacks Sign Braden Shipley Phillies Sign J.P. Crawford Orioles Designate Yamaico Navarro Mets Agree To Sign Dominic Smith Giants To Sign Christian Arroyo Pirates To Sign Reese McGuire Mets To Promote Zack Wheeler Yankees To Sign Ian Clarkin Rays Promote Wil Myers Dodgers Claim John Baker Mariners Sign Henry Blanco; Designate Kelly Shoppach For Assignment Dodgers Designate Ramon Hernandez For Assignment
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Draft Signings: Gonsalves, Williams, Mondab, Hannemann Astros Notes: Appel, Free Agency Rockies To Remove Francis From Roster, Add Oswalt Braves Sign First-Rounder Jason Hursh Red Sox Sign Trey Ball Twins Sign Kohl Stewart Mike Zagurski Elects Free Agency Padres Request Release Waivers On James Darnell Astros To Sign Mark Appel Suspensions Likely In Biogenesis Case Quick Hits: Norris, Ethier, Blue Jays, Phillies Mets Acquire Eric Young Jr., Designate Collin Cowgill Draft Signings: Bohn, Salazar, Verbistky, Healy, Moll Yankees Acquire Fernando Martinez Yankees Designate Chris Bootcheck For Assignment
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors