It's time to take a look back at the week that was..
- After months and months of speculation, the Red Sox and Padres agreed to a deal that would send Adrian Gonzalez to Boston for Casey Kelly, Anthony Rizzo, and Reymond Fuentes. Gonzalez and Boston had until 2pm EST to reach agreement on a new contract but were unable to get anything done. Eventually, Boston relented and pulled the trigger on the trade.
- No surprise here, the Yankees and Derek Jeter hammered out a new three-year deal with a fourth-year option worth at least $56MM. Before he re-upped with the Bombers, five teams called to express interest in him, though the shortstop never considered going elsewhere.
- The Bombers also re-upped another piece of their core four when they gave Mariano Rivera a two-year, $30MM deal. The Red Sox and Angels were two of three teams to offer the closer a three-year contract. Rivera has indicated that this contract could be his last, but he's said that before.
- Troy Tulowitzki agreed to an extension that will keep him in Colorado until 2020. The shortstop will earn $119MM over the course of the deal. The extension was unexpected as he was already in the midst of a six-year, $31MM extension he signed before the 2008 season.
- What a week for the White Sox. GM Kenny Williams landed free agent slugger Adam Dunn and re-signed catcher A.J. Pierzynski. Dunn will get up to four-years, $56MM while Pierzynski will get $8MM over two seasons.
- The best pitcher on the open market, Cliff Lee, is still out there. The Rangers won't say whether they've made the ace a formal offer. It seems to be a two-horse race for Lee's services, though that could change.
- Jorge de la Rosa reached agreement with the Rockies on a three-year, $32MM deal. The pitcher holds a player option on the third year of the contract while Colorado has a team option for year four for $11MM.
- One of the most surprising moves of the week came when the Cardinals signed Lance Berkman to a one-year, $8MM deal. The veteran hasn't played in the outfield since 2007 but will start in left field for St. Louis.
- Juan Uribe landed the first multiyear deal of his career when he left the Giants for the Dodgers. The infielder is set to earn $21MM over three seasons. Uribe will serve as the Dodgers second baseman but could also play some third and, obviously, shortstop.
- Miguel Tejada landed in San Francisco on a one-year, $6.5MM deal. The contract includes a $500K bonus and gives the Giants a shortstop after losing Juan Uribe to the Dodgers in free agency.
- Toronto continues to show interest in Royals ace Zack Greinke. Meanwhile, the Rangers are dreaming of a scenario in which they can re-sign Cliff Lee and also acquire Greinke. Kansas City won't trade him anywhere inside of the division but the field could be pretty open as Greinke seems willing to consider big market teams. The market for the hurler could heat up once Lee finally signs.
- We've heard Heath Bell's name in trade rumors for some time now but there are conflicting reports as to whether or not the Padres will deal him.
- The Cards acquired second baseman Ryan Theriot from the Dodgers in exchange for righty Blake Hawksworth.
- Toronto and Arizona have discussed a deal for Mark Reynolds, though the slugger won't be dealt to the Padres. The Orioles are also said to be interested.
- Texas has "kicked the tires" on Carl Crawford but the club seems much more interested in Paul Konerko. Most league execs feel that Konerko will be back with the White Sox. Both Dunn and Pierzynski will accept deferred money in their contracts in order to give the club the flexibility needed to keep Konerko. The O's made a significant offer to the veteran.
- San Francisco brought Pat Burrell back on a one-year deal worth $1MM. The deal does not include any incentives.
- The Braves acquired Scott Linebrink and a check for $3.5MM from the White Sox for minor league pitcher Kyle Cofield.
- Pitcher Bronson Arroyo inked a three-year, $35MM extension with the Reds this week. The contract is similar to the one the Dodgers gave Ted Lilly.
- Javier Vazquez is returning to the National League after signing a one-year, $7MM deal with the Marlins.
- The Yankees and five other clubs are interested in free agent catcher Russell Martin. The Yanks tried to deal for him before he was non-tendered by the Dodgers.
- Colorado acquired Jose Lopez from the Mariners for right-hander Chaz Roe on Thursday.
- Earlier this week Toronto acquired pitcher Carlos Villanueva from the Brewers for a player to be named later.
- The Padres agreed to terms on a one-year, $3MM deal with pitcher Aaron Harang. The San Diego native should do well in Petco.
- The Cubs and Nats are stepping up their pursuit of Brandon Webb.
- Jim Thome plans on playing in 2011.
- Hisanori Takahashi received a two-year deal worth $8MM from the Halos.
- Jason Varitek will return for a 15th season in Boston after agreeing to a one-year, $2MM deal.
- The D'Backs avoided arbitration with pitcher Zach Duke by agreeing to a one-year deal for $3.5MM with a $5.5MM mutual option for 2012.
- Minnesota avoided arbitration with Jason Repko and Pat Neshek.
- Atlanta re-signed Eric Hinske to a one-year deal with an option for 2012.
- The White Sox exercised their option on Alexei Ramirez.
- The Dodgers will welcome back Rod Barajas in 2011 after agreeing to a one-year, $3.25MM deal with the backstop.
- Pittsburgh signed a trio of interesting players to minor league deals.
- Kansas City agreed to one-year deals with Wilson Betemit and Brayan Pena.
Astros Sign Chad Qualls Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Astros Sign Scott Feldman Mets To Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Yankees To Re-Sign Hiroki Kuroda Orioles To Sign Francisco Peguero Orioles To Sign Ryan Webb Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal White Sox To Sign Ronald Belisario Dodgers Re-Sign Brian Wilson Red Sox To Sign Edward Mujica Royals Acquire Norichika Aoki Yankees To Sign Kelly Johnson Cubs Sign Wesley Wright White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler Padres, A's Swap Seth Smith For Luke Gregerson A's Acquire Craig Gentry, Josh Lindblom Rays Extend Ryan Hanigan Rays Acquire Ryan Hanigan Tigers Sign Joe Nathan Red Sox Sign A.J. Pierzynski
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
MLBTR Originals Alderson On Shortstop, First Base, Rotation, Murphy Ellsbury Contract Is A Guidepost For Shin-Soo Choo MLB, NPB Reach Agreement On Posting System NL West Notes: Uribe, Ibanez, Young, Morse, Ichiro Rakuten Golden Eagles May Not Post Masahiro Tanaka Mets To Sign Curtis Granderson New York Notes: Cashman, Santana, Pelfrey, Ibanez Week In Review: 12/1/13 - 12/7/13 AL East Notes: Price, Orioles, Axford, Hinske Astros Sign Scott Feldman Yankees Open To Trading Ichiro Suzuki Central Notes: Pirates, Royals, White Sox West Notes: Cano, Astros, Padres, Dodgers East Notes: Rays, Phillies, Mets
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors