Pitchers and catchers will report to Spring Training in just two short weeks, but that doesn't mean the rumors have stopped. Let's recap the last seven days of hot stove action...
- Two pitchers landed multiyear contract extensions this week. Wandy Rodriguez agreed to a three-year deal worth $34MM with the Astros while Johnny Cueto got four years and $27MM from the Reds. The Angels are trying to lock up their ace as well, having opened up talks with Jered Weaver about a long-term contract extension.
- Less than a week after acquiring him from the Angels, the Blue Jays turned around and traded Mike Napoli (and cash) to the Rangers for Frank Francisco. Both Napoli and Francisco later agreed to one-year contracts with their new teams to avoid arbitration.
- In an effort to bolster their pitching staff, the Diamondbacks acquired Armando Galarraga from the Tigers for a pair of minor leaguers. The Padres added depth by signing Jorge Cantu to a one-year deal worth $850K while the Nationals added Todd Coffey to their bullpen for $1.35MM and one year.
- Chone Figgins' name came up in trade talks with the Athletics (and Blue Jays), but he ultimately said he's going to remain a Mariner. The Red Sox pursued a trade for Jose Bautista, but nothing ever materialized.
- The Orioles made an offer to Vladimir Guerrero, but there hasn't been any progress in talks and there's no timetable for a decision. Baltimore also has interest in Justin Duchscherer, who wants to start, as do the Nationals.
- If he decides to pitch in 2011, the Yankees will offer Andy Pettitte a cool $12MM. Rodrigo Lopez has offers from the Braves, Mets, and Rockies, while the Orioles have an offer out to Mark Hendrickson. The Indians have interest in bringing back Kevin Millwood, ditto the White Sox and Freddy Garcia and the Tigers and Jeremy Bonderman. A few clubs have interest in Aaron Miles.
- Spring Training deadlines for contract extensions are the new black. Rickie Weeks set one this week, as did Shin-Soo Choo. Albert Pujols said he will veto all trades if he can't get an extension worked out with the Cardinals before the season. Rumor has it he might seek $300MM.
- The Rangers and GM Jon Daniels are discussing a contract extension. The Rockies locked up Rafael Betancourt for the next two years, as the Mets did with R.A. Dickey.
- The list of players that avoided arbitration by agreeing to one-year deals includes Edinson Volquez of the Reds, Jason Frasor of the Blue Jays, Ian Stewart of the Rockies, Miguel Montero of the Diamondbacks, Kevin Slowey of the Twins, and Craig Breslow of the Athletics.
- A number of players signed minor league contracts this week, including Dave Bush (Rangers), Shawn Hill (Marlins), Nick Green (Orioles), Mike MacDougal (Dodgers), Joe Beimel (Pirates), Jose Julio Ruiz and Ty Taubenheim (both Rangers), Nick Bierbrodt (Orioles), Braden Looper and Augie Ojeda (both Cubs), Casey Kotchman (Rays), Alfredo Amezaga (Rockies), Greg Burke (Padres), Bartolo Colon (Yankees), Chris Ray (Mariners), Clay Rapada (Orioles), Todd Wellemeyer (Cubs), Marc Kroon (Giants), Andy LaRoche (Athletics), Willy Taveras (Rockies), and Micah Owings (Diamondbacks).
- We saw three players get claimed off waivers this week. The Padres claimed Samuel Deduno, the Rays claimed Rob Delaney, and the Twins claimed Dusty Hughes. Deduno was designated for assignment after the Rockies acquired Clayton Mortenson from the A's for minor leaguer Ethan Hollingsworth.
- The Nationals designated both Justin Maxwell and Shairon Martis for assignment while the Diamondbacks did the same with Rafael Rodriguez. The Cubs signed a pair of Cuban-born players: outfielder Ruby Silva ($1.2MM) and catcher Yaniel Cabezas ($500K).
- Troy Glaus is going to sit out at least the start of the 2011 season, while both Rocco Baldelli and Russ Springer officially announced their retirements. Jim Edmonds is likely to call it a career as well.
Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Minor Moves: Wil Ledezma Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez Ervin Santana Seeks To Sign One-Year Deal Before Opening Day NL Central Notes: Carpenter, Neshek, Phillips, Cubs Diamondbacks, Oliver Perez Nearing Multi-Year Deal Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Padres Claim Alex Castellanos Luke Hochevar To Undergo Tommy John Surgery Royals Release Brad Penny Ervin Santana's Representation Currently Unsettled AL Central Notes: Masterson, De Aza, Santana, Tigers NL West Notes: Jobe, Maybin, Headley, Betancourt 2013-14 Article XX(B) Free Agents Out Of Options Players: NL West Yasiel Puig Switches Representation
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors