Lots of transactions this week... let's run down the major ones along with the week's top rumors here:
- The Angels and Howie Kendrick agreed to terms on a four-year contract extension worth $33.5MM that will buy out his final arbitration year and three free agent seasons. The Halos also inked Jorge Cantu to a minor league deal.
- The A's signed Coco Crisp to a two-year deal that will pay the center fielder $6MM in 2012, $7MM in 2013, and carries a $7.5MM club option with a $1MM buyout for 2014.
- Jason Frasor's tenure with the White Sox didn't last long; the South Siders dealt him back to the team they acquired him from this past summer -- the Blue Jays -- in exchange for two minor league pitchers.
- The Padres dealt with their first base surplus this week by trading Anthony Rizzo (along with Zach Cates) to the Cubs in exchange for Andrew Cashner and Kyung-Min Na. Rizzo had previously been one of the key components to San Diego's Adrian Gonzalez trade.
- The Marlins took on one of the game's biggest loose cannons when they acquired Carlos Zambrano for Chris Volstad. The Cubs will pay all but $2.5MM of the $18MM owed to Zambrano. Miami also signed Greg Dobbs to a two-year deal worth $3MM.
- Speaking of nearly untradeable Cubs, the Orioles discussed a potential acquisition of Alfonso Soriano from Chicago earlier this week. Multiple teams have inquired on Soriano apparently, though the Cubs would need to eat an immense amount of salary.
- The Mariners signed Hisashi Iwakuma to a mere one-year, $1.5MM contract that includes $3.4MM in incentives. Iwakuma turned down signficantly more on a multiyear deal with the A's through the posting system following the 2010 season.
- Iwakuma wasn't Seattle's only Japanese signing though; the Mariners also agreed to sign infielder Munenori Kawasaki to a minor league contract. Like Iwakuma, Kawasaki was a free agent and exempt from the posting system.
- The Yankees, meanwhile, failed to reach an agreement with Japanese infielder Hiroyuki Nakajima. The Bombers wanted Nakajima in a utility role, while he was a star with the Seibu Lions.
- The Cubs agreed to extend their relationship with Reed Johnson, coming to terms on a one-year deal worth $1.15MM for the outfielder.
- The Mets made a pair of similar one-year signings (price-wise), picking up Ronny Cedeno for $1.2MM and re-signing Scott Hairston to a $1.1MM deal.
- There were several major league deals given out to relievers this week, starting with the Rays' addition of Fernando Rodney on a one-year deal worth $2MM. Rodney will earn $1.75MM this season with a $250K buyout on a $2.5MM club option for 2013.
- The Blue Jays signed Darren Oliver to a one-year deal that will pay the veteran southpaw $4MM.
- The Dodgers signed Mike MacDougal to a one-year deal that will pay the 34-year-old $1MM and contains a club option for the 2013 season.
- The Nationals, who will be receiving a tremendous increase in their TV revenues, may have emerged as the favorites to land Prince Fielder. Doing so would likely mean they'd have to find a new home for Adam LaRoche.
- Scott Boras is said to be seeking five years for his other big ticket free agent, Edwin Jackson. Early in the offseason, Boras was reportedly seeking A.J. Burnett/John Lackey money (five years, $82.5MM).
- Tigers righty Rick Porcello has opted out of his contract and become arbitration-eligible. He signed a four-year Major League deal out of the draft and exercised his opt-out clause, which will allow him to earn more via the arbitration process.
- Cardinals pitching coach Dave Duncan is taking a leave of absence while his wife battles with cancer. Keep he and his family in your thoughts.
- After a 17-year Major League career spent entirely with the Yankees, Jorge Posada will announce his retirement in the coming weeks. After all is said and done, Posada will finish with a career triple slash line of .273/.374/.474 to go along with 275 homers.
Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Quick Hits: Perez, Pineda, Mariners, Ramirez, A's Minor Moves: Wil Ledezma Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez Ervin Santana Seeks To Sign One-Year Deal Before Opening Day NL Central Notes: Carpenter, Neshek, Phillips, Cubs Diamondbacks, Oliver Perez Nearing Multi-Year Deal Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Padres Claim Alex Castellanos Luke Hochevar To Undergo Tommy John Surgery Royals Release Brad Penny Ervin Santana's Representation Currently Unsettled AL Central Notes: Masterson, De Aza, Santana, Tigers NL West Notes: Jobe, Maybin, Headley, Betancourt 2013-14 Article XX(B) Free Agents Out Of Options Players: NL West
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors