Trade Rumors Apps
- Marlins Acquire Aaron Crow
- Diamondbacks To Sign Yasmany Tomas
- Rays Sign Ernesto Frieri
- Red Sox Sign Pablo Sandoval
- Red Sox Sign Hanley Ramirez
- Josh Willingham Announces Retirement
- Mariners, Kyle Seager Agree To Seven-Year, $100MM Extensiont
- White Sox Sign Adam LaRoche
- Dodgers Acquire Joel Peralta
- Athletics Sign Billy Butler
- White Sox Sign Zach Duke
- Marlins Sign Giancarlo Stanton To 13-Year, $325MM Extension
- 2014-15 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions
- Non-Tender Candidates
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2014-15 Offseason Outlooks
- 2014-15 Free Agent Profiles
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2015
- Free Agent Contest Leaderboard
- Reverse Standings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Athletics Designate Josh Lindblom, Kyle Blanks
- Blue Jays To Acquire Josh Donaldson From Athletics For Brett Lawrie, Others
- Athletics In Advanced Trade Discussions
- NL East Notes: Nationals Bullpen, Fister, Crow, Marlins
- Free Agent Faceoff: Max Scherzer vs. Jon Lester
- Ronald Belisario Elects Free Agency
- White Sox Sign Tony Campana
- Marlins Acquire Aaron Crow
- Royals Re-Sign Jason Frasor
- East Notes: Melky, Heaney, Eovaldi, Murphy, Victorino
- MLB Trade Rumors Podcast: Episode 8
- Quick Hits: Pirates, Bruce, Rule 5 Draft, Capuano
- NL East Links: Detwiler, Hamels, Rice
- Arbitration Breakdown: Todd Frazier
- At Least Four Teams Interested In Yoan Lopez
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Aaron Thompson Rumors
Here are today’s minor moves from around the game.
- The Twins have selected the contract of lefty Aaron Thompson, Mike Berardino of the Pioneer Press tweets. Thompson will take the roster spot vacated when the Twins lost Sam Deduno to the Astros’ waiver claim. Thompson, 27, posted a 3.98 ERA with 8.8 K/9 and 4.5 BB/9 in 52 innings this season at Triple-A Rochester. The former Marlins first-round draft pick appeared briefly in the big leagues with the Pirates in 2011.
- The White Sox have selected the contract of pitcher Chris Bassitt from Double-A Birmingham, Fred B. Mitchell of the Chicago Tribune tweets. The White Sox also optioned Scott Carroll to Triple-A Charlotte and recalled pitcher Eric Surkamp. Bassitt will start the second game of Chicago’s doubleheader against the Tigers tonight (against another pitcher making his big-league debut, Kyle Ryan). The 25-year-old Bassitt has pitched well in 34 2/3 innings at Birmingham this year, posting a 1.56 ERA with 9.3 K/9 and 3.6 BB/9.
Here are today’s outright assignments and minor moves from around the league…
- The Orioles are placing lefty Chris Jones on their 40-man roster, Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun tweets. Jones, 25, posted a 2.67 ERA with 6.0 K/9 and 4.3 BB/9 in 70 2/3 innings for Triple-A Norfolk this year. The move will prevent them from losing him to minor-league free agency.
- Edgar Ibarra has been added to the Twins‘ 40-man roster, the team announced today. The 24-year-old Venezuelan left-hander posted a 1.93 ERA with 8.0 K/9 and 4.3 BB/9 in 60 2/3 innings of relief between Double-Aand Triple-A this season. By adding Ibarra to the 40-man roster, the Twins ensure that he cannot be selected in next month’s Rule 5 Draft.
- The Twins have also re-signed Wilkin Ramirez, Dan Rohlfing, Aaron Thompson, Jermaine Mitchell, Lester Oliveros, Doug Bernier and James Beresford to minor league contracts with invites to Spring Training, tweets MLB.com’s Rhett Bollinger. Ramirez and Bernier each saw time with the big league club in 2013, and Oliveros was one of two pitchers received from the Tigers in exchange for Delmon Young in 2011.
- The Red Sox announced that they have outrighted outfielder Quintin Berry and infielder Brandon Snyder off their 40-man roster. Both are now free agents after spending the majority of this past season at Triple-A. Snyder hit .261/.332/.454 with 10 homers in the minors, while Berry slashed just .191/.309/.257 with three homers and 30 steals in 34 tries at Triple-A.
- Right-hander Ross Wolf has re-signed with the Rangers on a minor league contract with an invitation to 2014 Spring Training, the team announced. The 31-year-old posted a 4.15 ERA in 22 appearances (three starts) for Texas in 2013, averaging 4.0 K/9 and 2.8 BB/9 in 47 2/3 innings. Wolf had been outrighted off the 40-man roster and cleared waivers before re-signing.
- In other Rangers news, left-hander Travis Blackley was also outrighted off the 40-man roster and elected free agency. In 50 1/3 innings between the Rangers and Astros, compiling a 4.83 ERA with 7.2 K/9 and 3.9 BB/9.
- The Padres announced that they have outrighted left-hander Tommy Layne to Triple-A Tucson. Layne, 29, pitched 8 2/3 innings of 2.08 ERA ball for the Padres in his second big league stint this season. He has a 4.50 ERA with 6.1 K/9 and 3.8 BB/9 in 704 career minor league innings between the Padres and Diamondbacks, who traded him to San Diego for cash considerations in the 2011-12 offseason. Layne was designated for assignment along with fellow lefty Colt Hynes to make roster space for Cory Luebke and Joe Wieland as they returned from the 60-day DL. Hynes has since been acquired by the Indians.
Charlie Wilmoth contributed to this post.
Here's where we'll track today's minor moves, most of which were reported by Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus on Twitter…
- The Rangers invited recent non-tender Fabio Castillo and catcher Chris Robinson to Spring Training, according to Anthony Andro of FOXSportsSouthwest.com (on Twitter). The Rangers signed former supplemental first round pick Zach Jackson, according to Goldstein.
- The Twins signed right-hander Daryl Thompson, Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star Tribune tweets. They also signed lefty Aaron Thompson, according to Goldstein.
- The Dodgers signed Shane Lindsay.
- The Reds signed Kanekoa Texeira.
- The Pirates signed lefty Kris Johnson.
- The Giants signed Joaquin Arias.
- The Mariners signed catcher Guillermo Quiroz.
- The Blue Jays signed 2002 first rounder Clint Everts.
- The Rays signed right-hander Matt Torra.
- The Mets announced the signing of left-hander Chuck James, according to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com (on Twitter). James appeared in eight games for the Twins this past season, and spent most of the season at Triple-A. The 30-year-old posted a 2.30 ERA with 9.6 K/9 and 3.9 BB/9 in 62 2/3 innings as a reliever for the Twins' top affiliate.
- The Padres released utility man Eric Patterson, tweets Matt Eddy of Baseball America.
- The Royals released righty Jake Rodriguez, tweets Eddy.
- The Red Sox released righty Miguel Gonzalez.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Aaron Thompson | Boston Red Sox | Chuck James | Cincinnati Reds | Clint Everts | Joaquin Arias | Kanekoa Texeira | Kansas City Royals | Los Angeles Dodgers | Minnesota Twins | New York Mets | Pittsburgh Pirates | San Francisco Giants | Seattle Mariners | Shane Lindsay | Tampa Bay Rays | Texas Rangers | Toronto Blue Jays | Transactions | Zach Jackson
Here's a list of the latest players to be outrighted to the minor leagues…
The Pirates designated left-hander Aaron Thompson for assignment to create 40-man roster space for Chase d'Arnaud, according to MLB.com's Jenifer Langosch (on Twitter). Pittsburgh optioned Josh Harrison to Triple-A yesterday to create room on the active roster.
In 67 innings at Double-A Altoona, Thompson has a 4.97 ERA with 5.8 K/9 and 2.4 BB/9. The 2005 first round pick has posted a 4.37 ERA with 6.8 K/9 and 3.1 BB/9 in 747 1/3 innings as a minor leaguer. D'Arnaud, 24, has a .280/.347/.418 line at Triple-A this year and is set to debut tonight as Pittsburgh's third baseman.
2:37pm: Rosenthal and Morosi report that the Marlins are no longer pursuing Johnson or Heath Bell.
2:15pm: Via Twitter, MLB.com's Joe Frisaro says the Marlins are not expected to complete any trades by the deadline, which is in 45 minutes.
11:29am: Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports say the Marlins increased their offer for Johnson by adding another minor leaguer along with Tucker.
11:07am: ESPN's Peter Gammons reports that the Marlins "appear to be moving closer" to a Nick Johnson trade. Last we heard, the Fish offered pitcher Ryan Tucker to the Nationals and asked Washington to pay part of Johnson's contract (he has $2MM remaining). At the same time, Danny Knobler of CBSSports says the Marlins are growing frustrated with the trade talks and may move on.
Johnson, a free agent after the season, currently projects to fall short of Type B status, so it makes sense for the Nats to take what they can get. At the same time it'd be big for the Marlins to put a .408 OBP player in front of Hanley Ramirez.