With the All-Star Game behind us and the trade deadline coming fast, let's look back at the last week:
- The Nationals shook things up last week, firing Manny Acta as their manager. It's hard to imagine that anyone could have turned the Nats around, but Jim Riggleman will get the next chance at the job.
- The Phillies roster looks a little different now, but not because of a trade. They signed future hall-of-famer Pedro Martinez this week. Pedro will receive a base of about $1MM with another $1.5MM possible via incentives. Does Pedro have enough left in the tank to make a big impact for the 2008 World Champs?
- The player to be named later from the Scott Hairston trade was announced this week: Sean Gallagher. The A's landed Gallagher in last year's Rich Harden deal with the Cubs. While he's struggled in Oakland, Gallagher is still just 23 and has quite a bit of potential. The Padres got a pretty nice haul for Hairston.
- You can add the Cardinals to list of teams that will make a run at Roy Halladay. The Jays were big on 2008 first-rounder Brett Wallace, whom the Cardinals took at the number 13 spot, four ahead of the Blue Jays. An interesting thought: could Halladay demand a trade following the 2009 season if he's moved by Toronto?
- The Red Sox made a few headlines this week, opening extension talks with Jason Bay and also designating shortstop Julio Lugo for assignment. Talks about a new deal for Bay have stalled until the offseason it seems, while the Sox have received calls from a number of teams about Lugo, including the Cubs, Cardinals, and Mets.
- The Cubs signed B.J. Ryan this week, following his release from the Blue Jays. Can the former dominant closer revive his career with the Cubs, or have injuries taken too much of a toll for him to make a significant impact?
- The Orioles are looking to deal before the deadline, and names like Danys Baez, George Sherrill, Melvin Mora, and Aubrey Huff are up in the air. The Angels are said to have interest in Sherrill; where can you see the rest them going, or do the Orioles hold onto a player like Huff to collect the draft picks?
Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz White Sox, Mariners Have Discussed Viciedo Deal Week In Review: 3/2/14 - 3/8/14 Cafardo On Stanton, De Aza, Porcello, Drew, Britton Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Orioles, Barnes, D'Backs Quick Hits: Astros, Beltran, Orioles Quick Hits: Red Sox, Pirates, A's West Notes: Giants, Rangers, A's East Notes: Red Sox, Mets, Jays Blue Jays, Orioles In Play For Ervin Santana Quick Hits: Castellanos, Davis, Armstrong MLB Unlikely To Change Qualifying Offer Before 2016 Jose Bautista, Ervin Santana Leave Proformance Angels Outright John Hester, Robert Carson Ervin Santana Rumors: Saturday
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors