Lots of headlines made over the past week, so let's dive right into our recap of what the first full week of 2011 had to offer:
- In what seemed an unlikely fit, the Rangers lessened the blow of missing out on Cliff Lee by signing Adrian Beltre to a five-year, $80MM contract with a vesting $16MM option. Beltre turned down offers from the A's and Angels. Michael Young will be shifted once again, this time to a DH/utility role. Texas has made it clear to Young though that he's not getting traded. This also means Vladimir Guerrero will be looking for a new home for 2011.
- The Rangers also made an addition to their rotation, signing Brandon Webb to a one-year deal for $3MM plus incentives.
- After months of saying they wouldn't trade a pitcher, Tampa changed its tune when the Cubs offered up an enormous haul for Matt Garza. The Cubs acquired Garza, Fernando Perez, and Zach Rosscup in exchange for Chris Archer, Hak-Ju Lee, Brandon Guyer, Robinson Chirinos, and Sam Fuld. Andrew Friedman says he will reallocate Garza's salary (approximately $5-6MM) to other team needs. Many feel the Cubs gave up more for Garza than the Brewers did for Zack Greinke, as you can read in the trade reactions piece.
- It may not have been the three years he was looking for, but Adam LaRoche received a two-year deal from Washington that will guarantee him $16MM.
- The Rockies dished out another mammoth extension, as they've agreed to lock up Carlos Gonzalez for the next seven years and around $80MM. CarGo will take a physical this week and a press conference will follow.
- A second extension was signed this week when Dan Uggla agreed to a five-year $62MM extension in Atlanta before ever even playing a game in a Braves uniform.
- We learned of two extensions that were turned down last offseason: both John Danks and Carlos Quentin rejected offers from the White Sox.
- The Twins are closing in on a two-year deal with Carl Pavano, but nothing's been agreed upon yet. We learned this week that Kansas City and Pittsburgh are also options for the mustache-clad righty.
- Several bullpen signings this week: The Orioles added Kevin Gregg for two years and $10MM (plus a vesting option), the White Sox gave Will Ohman a two-year deal worth $4MM, and the Phillies re-signed J.C. Romero for one year and $1.35MM.
- The Reds signed Edgar Renteria to a one-year deal that guarantees him $2.1MM.
- The Mariners worked out a two-year deal with Brendan Ryan that will pay the slick fielder $2.75MM.
- The Mets signed Chris Capuano and Taylor Buchholz for $1.5MM and $600K, respectively. They also DFA'ed Ryota Igarashi.
- Even with his starting spot likely gone, Mike Cameron is happy in Boston and unlikely to be dealt anywhere. Other Red Sox news this week included their claim of Max Ramirez off waivers from Texas, and subsequent DFA of Matt Fox.
- The Cardinals officially opened extension talks with Albert Pujols last week, although don't expect anything in the near future, as that will undoubtedly be a lengthy negotiation process.
- Some conflicting reports about the Yankees and their interest in Rafael Soriano emerged this week. Soriano said he's open to setting up for Mariano Rivera, but GM Brian Cashman said the club would not surrender its first-round pick with Cliff Lee off the board. Later in the week though, we heard the Yankees are still in on Soriano.
- One more note on another potential closer: the Blue Jays emerged as a "serious suitor" for Brian Fuentes this week, despite having already signed Octavio Dotel. Fuentes is looking for multiple years and a closing gig.
White Sox Sign Felipe Paulino Roy Halladay To Retire Marlins To Sign Garrett Jones Astros Sign Chad Qualls Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Astros Sign Scott Feldman Mets To Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Yankees To Re-Sign Hiroki Kuroda Orioles To Sign Francisco Peguero Orioles To Sign Ryan Webb Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal White Sox To Sign Ronald Belisario Dodgers Re-Sign Brian Wilson Red Sox To Sign Edward Mujica Royals Acquire Norichika Aoki Yankees To Sign Kelly Johnson Cubs Sign Wesley Wright White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler Padres, A's Swap Seth Smith For Luke Gregerson A's Acquire Craig Gentry, Josh Lindblom Rays Extend Ryan Hanigan
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Astros Release Eric Thames Marlins Telling Teams They Will Trade Logan Morrison Shortly Mark Trumbo "In Play" On Trade Market Bartolo Colon's Market Heating Up David Price Rumors: Monday Nelson Cruz Rumors: Monday White Sox Sign Felipe Paulino Twins Making Push For Bronson Arroyo Indians Sign David Cooper Red Sox Notes: Drew, Carp, Peavy, Dempster Indians, Orioles Have Shown Interest In Jason Hammel Indians Nearing Deal With David Cooper Brewers Making Corey Hart A Priority NL West Notes: Kemp, D-Backs, Rockies, Anderson White Sox Looking To Trade Starter
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors