Lots of headlines made over the past week, so let's dive right into our recap of what the first full week of 2011 had to offer:
- In what seemed an unlikely fit, the Rangers lessened the blow of missing out on Cliff Lee by signing Adrian Beltre to a five-year, $80MM contract with a vesting $16MM option. Beltre turned down offers from the A's and Angels. Michael Young will be shifted once again, this time to a DH/utility role. Texas has made it clear to Young though that he's not getting traded. This also means Vladimir Guerrero will be looking for a new home for 2011.
- The Rangers also made an addition to their rotation, signing Brandon Webb to a one-year deal for $3MM plus incentives.
- After months of saying they wouldn't trade a pitcher, Tampa changed its tune when the Cubs offered up an enormous haul for Matt Garza. The Cubs acquired Garza, Fernando Perez, and Zach Rosscup in exchange for Chris Archer, Hak-Ju Lee, Brandon Guyer, Robinson Chirinos, and Sam Fuld. Andrew Friedman says he will reallocate Garza's salary (approximately $5-6MM) to other team needs. Many feel the Cubs gave up more for Garza than the Brewers did for Zack Greinke, as you can read in the trade reactions piece.
- It may not have been the three years he was looking for, but Adam LaRoche received a two-year deal from Washington that will guarantee him $16MM.
- The Rockies dished out another mammoth extension, as they've agreed to lock up Carlos Gonzalez for the next seven years and around $80MM. CarGo will take a physical this week and a press conference will follow.
- A second extension was signed this week when Dan Uggla agreed to a five-year $62MM extension in Atlanta before ever even playing a game in a Braves uniform.
- We learned of two extensions that were turned down last offseason: both John Danks and Carlos Quentin rejected offers from the White Sox.
- The Twins are closing in on a two-year deal with Carl Pavano, but nothing's been agreed upon yet. We learned this week that Kansas City and Pittsburgh are also options for the mustache-clad righty.
- Several bullpen signings this week: The Orioles added Kevin Gregg for two years and $10MM (plus a vesting option), the White Sox gave Will Ohman a two-year deal worth $4MM, and the Phillies re-signed J.C. Romero for one year and $1.35MM.
- The Reds signed Edgar Renteria to a one-year deal that guarantees him $2.1MM.
- The Mariners worked out a two-year deal with Brendan Ryan that will pay the slick fielder $2.75MM.
- The Mets signed Chris Capuano and Taylor Buchholz for $1.5MM and $600K, respectively. They also DFA'ed Ryota Igarashi.
- Even with his starting spot likely gone, Mike Cameron is happy in Boston and unlikely to be dealt anywhere. Other Red Sox news this week included their claim of Max Ramirez off waivers from Texas, and subsequent DFA of Matt Fox.
- The Cardinals officially opened extension talks with Albert Pujols last week, although don't expect anything in the near future, as that will undoubtedly be a lengthy negotiation process.
- Some conflicting reports about the Yankees and their interest in Rafael Soriano emerged this week. Soriano said he's open to setting up for Mariano Rivera, but GM Brian Cashman said the club would not surrender its first-round pick with Cliff Lee off the board. Later in the week though, we heard the Yankees are still in on Soriano.
- One more note on another potential closer: the Blue Jays emerged as a "serious suitor" for Brian Fuentes this week, despite having already signed Octavio Dotel. Fuentes is looking for multiple years and a closing gig.
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Offseason In Review: Pittsburgh Pirates Twins Still Have Offer Out To Ervin Santana Quick Hits: Orioles, Nationals, Manaea, White Sox MLBTR Originals Chase Headley Extension Remains Unlikely NL Notes: Medlen, Cubs, Padres, Rockies Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Ervin Santana Rumors: Sunday Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez AL Notes: Santana, O's, Porcello, Masterson, Rangers White Sox, Mariners Have Discussed Viciedo Deal Week In Review: 3/2/14 - 3/8/14 Cafardo On Stanton, De Aza, Porcello, Drew, Britton Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Orioles, Barnes, D'Backs Quick Hits: Astros, Beltran, Orioles
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors