The Yankees awoke from a relative offseason slumber to pull off a pair of big moves on Friday. In case you missed that or any other notable news, the Week In Review's got you covered ...
- The Yankees and Mariners teamed up for a blockbuster trade including lots of prized young talent, with Jesus Montero and Hector Noesi going to Seattle in exchange for Michael Pineda and Jose Campos.
- The Yanks also agreed to terms with free agent right-hander Hiroki Kuroda on a one-year, $10MM deal.
- The Reds agreed to terms with closer Ryan Madson on a one-year contract with a mutual option for 2013 in what may be one of the offseason's best bargains.
- The Angels reached agreement with infielder Howie Kendrick on a four-year, $33.5MM extension that covers his final year of arbitration eligibility and three years of free agency.
- Josh Hamilton said he'd be open to signing an extension with the Rangers before Spring Training, while Texas tabled extension talks with lefty Derek Holland.
- Contract length proved to be an obstacle in the ongoing negotiations between the Rangers and Yu Darvish. Texas was rumored to be talking "Dice-K" money with the right-hander.
- Barry Larkin was elected to the Hall of Fame.
- Marlins president David Samson said Miami will make an aggressive run for Cuban defector Yoenis Cespedes once he becomes a free agent.
- The Orioles' Adam Jones said he has not been offered a contract extension.
- The Cubs agreed to terms with reliever Kerry Wood on a one-year contract that includes a 2013 option.
- The Rays signed free agent Luke Scott to a one-year contract with a club option for 2013.
- The Cubs signed lefty Paul Maholm to a one-year deal with a club option for 2013.
- The Blue Jays signed lefty reliever Darren Oliver to a one-year deal with a club option for 2013.
- The Orioles reached agreement with Korean righty Wei-Yin Chen on a three-year contract worth $12MM.
- The Braves agreed to terms infielder Jack Wilson on a one-year contract.
- The Mets signed shortstop Ronny Cedeno to a one-year deal, and they also re-signed Scott Hairston to a one-year Major League pact.
- A handful of players avoided arbitration with their teams: Ryan Sweeney (Red Sox), Chris Resop (Pirates), Martin Prado (Braves), Manny Parra (Brewers), Kyle Kendrick (Phillies), Ryan Vogelsong (Giants), Kendrys Morales (Angels), and Carlos Gomez (Brewers).
- The Brewers exchanged proposals with Japanese outfielder Norichika Aoki.
- The Nats withdrew from the Cespedes sweepstakes but remain in on Prince Fielder.
- The Red Sox moved close to signing right-hander Vicente Padilla and met with David Ortiz's agent.
- The Rays closed in on an extension for manager Joe Maddon.
- The Indians expressed interest in free agent first baseman Carlos Pena.
- The Tigers downplayed talks of their interest in Cubs right-hander Matt Garza.
- Recently extended MLB Commissioner Bud Selig prioritized the Athletics' potential relocation/ballpark search.
- Melvin Mora un-retired, while Kevin Cash hung 'em up.
- Hiroyuki Nakajima returned to NPB. The shortstop was unable to reach agreement with the Yankees, the team that won the rights to negotiation with him through the posting process.
- The Royals agreed to terms with third baseman Kevin Kouzmanoff on a minor league contract.
- The Cubs agreed to terms with Alfredo Amezaga on a minor league contract.
- The Pirates signed lefty reliever Doug Slaten to a minor league pact.
- The Indians signed reliever Chris Ray to a minor league contract.
- The Mariners signed Aaron Heilman to a minor league deal.
- The Cardinals signed Koyie Hill to a minor league deal.
- The Mets re-signed Miguel Batista to a minor league deal.
- The Orioles re-signed Willie Eyre to a minor league deal.
- The Astros claimed outfielder Fernando Martinez, a former blue-chipper, from the Mets.
- The Brewers claimed Jeff Bianchi from the Cubs.
- The Red Sox acquired infielder Brad Emaus from the Rockies for a player to be named or cash. Boston also signed righty Aaron Cook and Justin Germano, another right-hander, to minor league contracts.
- The Reds signed lefty relievers Ron Mahay and Clay Zavada to minor league contracts.
- Scott Proctor signed with Korea's Doosan Bears.
- Several players were designated for assignment: Nevin Ashley (Rays), Henry Villar (Astros), Kyle Hudson (Orioles), and Mark Teahen (Blue Jays).
- The Phillies released John Bowker.
Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Mets Outright Lannan, Promote Matsuzaka AL West Notes: Astros, Franklin, Walker, Reddick Morales Rejected $30MM Extension Last Summer Astros To Promote George Springer Astros To Designate Lucas Harrell For Assignment Minor Moves: Scott Cousins NL Notes: Johnson, Cubs, Bradley Ryan Zimmerman To Miss Four to Six Weeks Athletics Release Joe Blanton AL East Notes: Rays, Drew, Pineda, Lester 2015 Free Agent Power Rankings MLBTR Chat Transcript Blue Jays Designate Marcus Walden, Outright Jeremy Jeffress Padres Offered Headley Three Years, $33-39MM In Offseason AL Central Notes: White Sox, Abreu, Dozier, Cabrera
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors