Weekly email list
- Orioles Agree To Deal With Ariel Miranda
- Right-Hander Norge Ruiz Leaves Cuba, Will Seek Deal With MLB Club
- Smyly Will Not Have Surgery, Is Confident He Can Pitch In 2015
- Hyun-jin Ryu Undergoes Season-Ending Shoulder Surgery
- 2016 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings
- Hyun-jin Ryu To Undergo Shoulder Surgery
- Mariners Acquire Welington Castillo From Cubs For Yoervis Medina
- Bruce Chen Announces Retirement
- Red Sox Outright Allen Craig
- Marlins Name GM Dan Jennings Manager
Trade Rumors Apps
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 Arbitration Tracker
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2015
- Free Agent Contest Leaderboard
- Reverse Standings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Quick Hits: Hamilton, Howard, Otani
- Quick Hits: Harang, Mesoraco, Grandal, Jenkins
- Rosenthal’s Latest: Papelbon, Marlins, Padres, Angels, Twins
- New York Notes: Wright, Lindgren, Drew, Murphy
- Who Will Sign Rafael Soriano?
- NL Notes: Cueto, Lester, Nieuwenhuis
- Padres Claim Eury De La Rosa
- Minor Moves: Mickey Storey, Vin Mazzaro
- AL Notes: Konerko, Happ, Farrell
- Draft Notes: Jay, Kaprielian, Cubs, Bloodlines
- Week In Review: 5/16/15 – 5/22/15
- Orioles Agree To Deal With Ariel Miranda
- East Notes: Syndergaard, Duda, Castillo, Red Sox
- Quick Hits: Reds, Meyer, Ryu, Arruebarrena
- Dodgers Acquire Eric Surkamp From White Sox
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Emil Brown Rumors
On this date in 1975, Mets third baseman Joe Torre grounded into four double plays. Here are some links to read through…
- Today's chat takes place in half an hour at 2pm CST.
- Justin Duchscherer will begin rehabbing soon and ESPN.com's Buster Olney says he could be a solid alternative to Roy Halladay, if healthy. Olney speculates that Duchscherer, who makes $3.9MM this year, would fit well on the Brewers.
- The Mets released Emil Brown from their Triple A affiliate today, according to Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post.
- Many Marlins players told Tom D'Angelo of the Palm Beach Post that they're trying to ignore trade chatter and win ballgames.
- Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic says the D'Backs didn't want to offer Felipe Lopez arbiration in the offseason because he might have accepted. He would have been in line for a $5-6MM salary so the Brewers chose two mediocre prospects instead of offering Lopez arbitration.
- ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick says the Cubs could have a big second half, even though they're "muddling along" now.
- George Sherrill told Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun that he wants to be in Baltimore in spite of the rumors swirling about.
So says Mike Nichols at MetsBlog, the Mets designated Emil Brown for assignment today to make room for the recently activated Ryan Church.
Brown was just acquired from the Padres on May 29th for a player to be named later. The 34-year-old journeyman outfielder only saw two plate appearances in his cup of coffee for the Mets, but he had previously put up a line of .260/.345/.432 in 41 Triple-A games for the Pads. He might latch on to another team looking for minor league depth.
According to SI's Jon Heyman, the Mets acquired outfielder Emil Brown from the Padres today for a player to be named later. He's hitting .260/.345/.432 in 41 Triple A games. The Mets are probably just adding minor league depth here.
According to MLB.com’s Corey Brock, the Padres signed outfielder Emil Brown to a minor league deal. He may have a hard time squeezing into the Padres’ outfield picture though. Brown, 34, hit .244/.297/.386 in 438 plate appearances for the A’s last year while playing the outfield corners.
The latest from ESPN’s Jayson Stark…
- The Cubs’ ownership situation is not close to the finish line, which is one reason the team won’t be acquiring Jake Peavy anytime soon.
- One source of Stark’s suggested Zack Greinke nearly left his current agent John Courtright of SFX for Scott Boras, a whisper I’d heard as well. But now Greinke is happy with his contract and agent.
- Free agents such as Manny Ramirez and Ivan Rodriguez could reasonably wait until March to sign. Not a bad thing for this website!
- Adam Dunn would like Manny to sign earlier, as he’s waiting to see what the Dodgers (his preferred team) do. The Nationals have been Dunn’s most aggressive suitor, the Orioles have mild interest, and the Braves have backed off.
- Stark questions the idea of talks for Manny heating up lately, since the Mets, Yankees, and Angels are out and the Giants are only conditionally interested.
- When Alex Rodriguez was a free agent last winter, Joe Torre advised the Dodgers against signing him.
- The Phillies would like to move Geoff Jenkins for a right-handed hitting outfielder, but Jenkins is paid too much. Jay Payton and Emil Brown are not on the Phillies’ radar; they still like Nomar Garciaparra.
- The Yankees are apparently "softening to the idea of trading Nick Swisher," with the Braves the top suitor.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Adam Dunn | Alex Rodriguez | Atlanta Braves | Baltimore Orioles | Chicago Cubs | Emil Brown | Geoff Jenkins | Ivan Rodriguez | Jake Peavy | Jay Payton | Kansas City Royals | Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim | Los Angeles Dodgers | Manny Ramirez | New York Mets | New York Yankees | Nick Swisher | Nomar Garciaparra | Philadelphia Phillies | San Diego Padres | San Francisco Giants | Scott Boras | Washington Nationals | Zack Greinke
Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle has a slew of A’s hot stove info for us today.
- Pending free agents include Mark Ellis, Frank Thomas, Emil Brown, and Keith Foulke. All except Ellis are certainly goners.
- Huston Street trade talks may resume with the team that claimed him in August. All we know is that it was a non-contender. Street is under team control through 2010, and could earn $5MM next year.
- The A’s aren’t planning to trade Justin Duchscherer, and are currently just hoping his hip will be OK for ’09.
- Shortstop Bobby Crosby will earn $5.25MM next year. He racked up 605 plate appearances this year, the most since his rookie year. However, he didn’t hit or play acceptable defense. Interest in him will not be high.
- Lefty reliever Alan Embree spoke of "positive dialogue" between him and Billy Beane regarding his next year. Embree posted a 4.96 ERA, so maybe the A’s will decline his $3MM option and re-sign him for less.
- Kirk Saarloos is a non-tender candidate.
The A’s signed 33 year-old outfielder Emil Brown to a one-year deal today. Terms are not yet known; Brown made $3.45MM in 2007.
Mychael Urban’s sources say the Brown signing is linked to Oakland’s likely Mark Kotsay trade, a deal that might be finalized on Monday.
Brown had a dreadful ’07, slumping to .257/.300/.347 in 113 games. Before that, though, he posted a respectable .800+ OPS in 2005-06. The KC Star recently summed up Brown’s Royals career, including the pellet gun incident.
Tim’s out for the night, so we’ve got a fresh post started for the non-tenders. MLB.com has a running list as well.
These guys are the officials as of now:
- As expected, the Marlins non-tendered catcher Miguel Olivo. Johnny Estrada was another casualty; these two make up the market for starting catchers.
- The Blue Jays non-tendered Josh Towers, a surprising move. Some NL team could offer him two years and get league average work out of him.
- Mark Prior has been non-tendered. Honestly if I were the Cubs, I would’ve tossed the $3.5MM his way just to see.
- Aaron Miles is now a free agent.
- The A’s cut Kiko Calero loose.
- The Padres have non-tendered four: Morgan Ensberg, Jason Lane, and pitchers Jack Cassell and Ryan Ketchner. RotoWorld speculates that the latter two, not arbitration eligible, could be offered minor league deals.
- The Royals cut the cord on Emil Brown. He turns 33 soon; he hit an ugly .257/.300/.347 in 2007. Brown earned $3.45MM in ’07.
- The Tigers non-tendered Chad Durbin, toss him into the free agent pool. Guess those trade talks with the Bucs didn’t work out.
- The Twins have let go Jason Tyner.
- The Nats have cut bait with Nook Logan and LHP Michael O’Connor.
- The Dodgers wave goodbye to Mark Hendrickson.
- The White Sox have non-tendered Andy Gonzalez and LHP Heath Phillips. Joe Crede sticks with the Pale Hose for now.
- Adam Everett has lost his job with the Astros. It’d be kind of funny if the Orioles signed him.
- Per RotoWorld, the Angels have non-tendered Dallas McPherson. He’s full of potential, but he’s never come through. He’s only 27, though, so he could still catch on somewhere. Unless, RotoWorld notes, he has an agreement in place with the Angels.
- The Braves have non-tendered Willie Harris, though he had already been DFA’d.
–Joe and Tim
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Aaron Miles | Adam Everett | Chad Durbin | Chicago Cubs | Detroit Tigers | Emil Brown | Houston Astros | Jason Tyner | Johnny Estrada | Josh Towers | Kansas City Royals | Kiko Calero | Mark Prior | Miami Marlins | Miguel Olivo | Minnesota Twins | Morgan Ensberg | New York Mets | Oakland Athletics | San Diego Padres | St. Louis Cardinals | Toronto Blue Jays | Washington Nationals
As you know, the non-tender deadline is tonight. I’ve got my list of candidates right here. In this post, I’ll note all those who are officially non-tendered and hence become free agents.