- White Sox To Promote Carlos Rodon
- Hamilton, Angels Discussing Resolution Of Dispute
- Introducing The New MLB Trade Rumors Mobile Site
- Cubs To Promote Kris Bryant
- Rays Sign J.P. Arencibia To Minor League Deal
- Yankees Interested In Braves’ Jose Peraza
- Diamondbacks Promote Yasmany Tomas
- Angels May Seek Contract Action Against Josh Hamilton
- Braves Release Carlos Quentin
- Indians Sign Jhoulys Chacin, Designate Shaun Marcum
Trade Rumors Apps
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 Arbitration Tracker
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2015
- Free Agent Contest Leaderboard
- Reverse Standings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Minor Moves: Gonzalez Germen, Ryan Dennick
- D’Arnaud Fractures Hand; Mets To Promote Plawecki
- White Sox To Promote Carlos Rodon
- Huntington On Kang, Taillon, Morton
- NL East Notes: Span, Utley, Hamels, Johnson, Familia
- Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Orioles, Anthopoulos, Pirates
- AL East Notes: Francis, Balfour, Betts, Schoop
- Cafardo’s Latest: Giants, Craig, Lackey, Hamels, Kazmir, Viola
- Quick Hits: Scully, Hendriks, Nationals
- Rays Designate Grant Balfour For Assignment
- Quick Hits: Rose, Herrera, Gregorius, Dodgers
- Giants’ Peavy Injured, Susac Recalled
- Quick Hits: Trout, Wilson, Tigers
- Rosenthal’s Latest: Tillman, Gomez, Beltre
- Minor Moves: Huff, De La Cruz, Bautista, Meyer
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Shawn Chacon Rumors
Links for Monday, with just a couple hours remaining for teams to sign their 2010 draft picks…
- Bobby Valentine told Jack Curry of the YES Network that he doesn't think the Mariners are "a fit" for him (Twitter link). Seattle has a managerial opening and some have suggested that Valentine could be a target for the Mariners.
- Orioles manager Buck Showalter told Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times that he would be shocked if former Mariners skipper Don Wakamatsu had trouble finding a job.
- The Mariners signed former big leaguer Tug Hulett and assigned him to Triple A, according to the transactions page for the Pacific Coast League. Hulett, now 27, appeared in 15 games for the Royals last year.
- The Rangers are considering free agent Alex Cora, though they have not offered the infielder a deal, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter).
- The Brockton Rox of the independent Can-Am League signed former Red Sox pitcher Bill Lee, according to the AP (via CBSSports.com). Lee, who last faced a major league hitter in 1982, is now 63 years old!
- The Astros announced that an arbitration panel decided that the team was within its rights to terminate Shawn Chacon’s contract without pay after the pitcher's physical confrontation with GM Ed Wade in 2008.
More links for the afternoon…
- ESPN.com reports that Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban has no plans to bid on the Chicago Cubs.
- Yankees and Red Sox scouts are assembling teams of high schoolers to face off in an exhibition game at Fenway Park this August. And Bryce Harper will be suiting up in pinstripes, according to Peter Abraham of the Journal News.
- Roch Kubatko of MASN.com hears that the Orioles are hesitant to offer Miguel Angel Sano big money. Kubatko would be surprised to see the Orioles become frontrunners for the Dominican prospect.
- Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle says Shawn Chacon isn't expected to be an option in Oakland. Instead, he's there to provide the A's with depth.
- The Baltimore Sun relays an AP report informing us that David Walters, a college senior, signed a free agent contract with the Orioes. The righty was drafted by the Braves in 2008 before returning to school for his senior year.
- MLB.com's Jason Beck reports that the Tigers have agreed to terms with 16 of their draftees.
- Speaking on ESPN Radio, Peter Gammons suggests the Cubs, Rays, Rangers, Angels and Yankees should make moves before July 31st. Joe Haggerty has the transcript up at Hacks with Haggs.
- Diamond Leung reports that the Dodgers released Val Pascucci, who had an OPS of .715 at Triple A.
10:20am: Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that Chacon will report to Triple A Sacramento today and is tentatively scheduled to start tomorrow night.
12:24am: MLBTR has learned tonight that pitcher Shawn Chacon signed a minor league deal with the A's. Pitching for the independent league Newark Bears, the 31 year-old Chacon posted a 4.29 ERA with 29 strikeouts and 16 walks in 42 innings this year. The Astros released him about a year ago after he threw the team's GM, Ed Wade, to the ground in a clubhouse altercation.
Former MLB right-hander Shawn Chacon has signed with the Newark Bears of the Atlantic League.
The 31-year-old spent time with the Rockies, Yankees, Pirates, and finished up last season as a member of the Astros. His 2008 season – and possibly his Major League career – came to an end when he got into a physical altercation with general manager Ed Wade, throwing him to the ground after being demoted from the rotation.
He was 45-61 with a 4.99 ERA as a major leaguer, and went 2-3 with a 5.04 ERA last year in Houston.
Today’s stray Winter Meetings links as everyone heads home…
- Jason Giambi maintains hopes of returning to the Yankees; he may be willing to take a discount.
- Dave Cameron believes the Rays won the Edwin Jackson-Matt Joyce swap, handily.
- Brett Saberhagen was hired as an agent for Dan Evans’ firm. He’ll focus on pitchers.
- Shawn Chacon‘s agent is trying to find his client a job. Troy Renck also notes that the Rockies’ offer to Glendon Rusch is a $750K minor league deal.
- Kevin Kaduk relays his first Winter Meetings experience.
Troy E. Renck of the Denver Post published a mailbag today with some good rumors.
- The Pirates wanted Franklin Morales, Esmil Rogers, and Chris Nelson for Ian Snell. Can’t blame ‘em for asking.
- Last winter, the A’s asked for Ubaldo Jimenez in a deal for Dan Haren. As good as Haren’s been, the Rockies still have to be happy they passed.
- Renck doesn’t see the Rox picking up Shawn Chacon – reportedly he has not been working out over the past month.
- Renck reveals that Todd Helton asked the Rockies upon signing his megadeal that money not be deferred. Nonetheless it’d be an intriguing way to free up cash to use on Matt Holliday. Renck feels the Rockies might offer Holliday five years, while he’ll seek seven.
New column from SI.com’s Jon Heyman.
- Fresh Jason Bay rumors: the D’Backs and Cardinals are in pursuit. The Mets and Rays have kicked the tires as well. Heyman believes the Pirates want Emilio Bonifacio from the D’Backs, and maybe Colby Rasmus from the Cards. At any rate, the price will be steep with Bay signed for ’09.
- Juan Rivera is a "surprise target" of the Mets, though they’ve had interest in him since March. Rivera will be hard to acquire, though, because he’s gaining playing time for the Angels.
- Heyman believes Shawn Chacon will win his grievance and get paid his full salary.
Random links for Tuesday.
- Interesting news out of Philly…Brett Myers accepted a minor league assignment. The Phils seem likely to acquire a starter this month.
- That was quick – the Mets designated Andy Phillips for assignment.
- Shawn Chacon cleared waivers and was released without pay, but the players’ association plans to file a grievance. It’s a matter of a million bucks.
- The Phillies signed first-round pick Anthony Hewitt, a high school infielder. He’ll get about $1.4MM.
- The Cards officially inked top pick Brett Wallace, a college third baseman.
- Three scouts watched Reds reliever David Weathers last night. Just throwing it out there, the Marlins are looking for a righthanded reliever.
- NPB Tracker discusses Yu Darvish.
- The Reds offered Ken Griffey Jr. to the Mariners, and they declined.
- Tom Verducci’s article about Tim Lincecum and pitching biomechanics is a must-read.
A few minor notes from around the MLBiverse…
- Jon Heyman came up with a list of 19 pitchers that could be made available prior to the trade deadline. He also presents a list of 12 candidates that the Mariners may consider for their vacant GM position.
- The Brewers’ assistant GM indicated the team would like to add a starting pitcher to give the pitching staff more depth.
- Ken Williams says that he is happy with the White Sox’ roster and has not assigned scouts to specific players on other teams that could be available.
- Richard Justice says that the Astros will not ship off veterans before the trade deadline, but also notes that they might not be able to even if they wanted to be active sellers.
- Rich Harden struck out 11 in eight shutout innings in front of a number of scouts two nights ago. Also at this link, Joe Blanton and Chad Gaudin have heard trade rumors about themselves. Gaudin is "convinced that he’s going to be traded."
- Derek Jeter vouched for Shawn Chacon‘s character.
Nothing major cracking on the hot stove this morning, so we’ll kick it off with odds and ends.
- The Padres haven’t finalized the deal with top pick Allan Dykstra due to concerns with his physical.
- Sorry Pirates fans, but the team does not have interest in bringing back Shawn Chacon.
- David Lennon believes Omar Minaya’s job is safe. Minaya could seek an extension after the season (he’s signed through ’09).
- In a non-subscriber article, Baseball Prospectus’ Joe Sheehan gives his take on whether certain teams should be buyers or sellers.
- Saberscouting gives a scouting report on Michel Inoa.
- Henry Schulman asks C.C. Sabathia whether San Francisco will be on his list.
- A case for the Braves to sign Barry Bonds.
- Sam Mellinger continues his look at Dayton Moore’s work in Kansas City.
- Theo Epstein expects Red Sox execs Ben Cherington and Jed Hoyer to become GMs soon.