- Yankees Acquire Josh Outman
- Dodgers, Phillies Complete Roberto Hernandez Trade
- Morneau Claimed By Brewers, Pulled Back By Rockies
- Astros Pull Chad Qualls Off Waivers
- Feldman, Colon Clear Revocable Waivers
- Athletics Acquire Geovany Soto
- Indians Acquire Chris Gimenez
- Red Sox Sign Rusney Castillo
- Angels Acquire Gordon Beckham
- Garrett Richards Out 6-9 Months
- Indians Extend Scott Atchison
- Rob Manfred Elected As Next Commissioner
- Pirates Acquire John Axford
- Royals Acquire Josh Willingham
- Tyler Skaggs Requires Tommy John Surgery
- Dodgers Acquire Kevin Correia
- Cubs Acquire Jacob Turner
- Angels Acquire Vinnie Pestano
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Reverse Standings
- Players Who Have Cleared Revocable Waivers
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- MLBTR iPad/iPhone App
- MLBTR Android App
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Royals Designate Bruce Chen For Assignment
- Angels Outright Dane De La Rosa
- Diamondbacks Release Xavier Paul
- Rangers Release Phil Irwin
- Orioles, Nelson Cruz Mutually Interested In Extension
- Yankees Designate Rich Hill For Assignment
- Twenty Teams Attend Showcase For Cuesta, Siverio
- Indians Sign Russell Branyan
- Tigers Designate Jose Ortega For Assignment
- Quick Hits: Montero, Astros, Pierzynski
- AL East Links: Jeter, Beckham, Orioles
- Jorge De La Rosa Claimed, Blocked On Waivers
- Mets Notes: Wheeler, d’Arnaud, Alderson
- Rangers Notes: Lewis, Bridwell, Rosales
- Quick Hits: Herrera, O’s, Mariners, Cubs, V-Mart
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Andrew Brown Rumors
Brown made his MLB with the 2011 Cardinals before the Rockies claimed him off of waivers from St. Louis. The 28-year-old spent part of the 2012 season with the Rockies, appearing in 46 games as a corner outfielder. Brown, a right-handed hitter, posted a .232/.302/.429 batting line with five home runs in 126 plate appearances with the Rockies this past season. He also appeared in 100 games at Triple-A, posting a .308/.364/.597 batting line with 24 home runs and 33 doubles. However, Colorado granted him free agency in November.
Teams have until tonight at 10:59 PM CST to set their 40-man rosters before the Rule 5 draft, hence explaining the flurry of transactions around the majors today. Here are the players who have been outrighted off their teams' 40-man rosters, with the most recent at the top of the page (all roster moves were announced by the teams unless otherwise stated)….
- The Indians outrighted Matt LaPorta and Brent Lillibridge to Triple-A Columbus. According to MLB.com's Jordan Bastian (via Twitter), Lillibridge has the option to refuse the assignment and become a free agent.
- The Rockies have outrighted Andrew Brown and Matt McBride to Triple-A Colorado Springs.
- The Astros have outrighted infielder Scott Moore to Triple-A Oklahoma City. Moore has the option of accepting the assignment or electing free agency.
- Cubs right-hander Carlos Gutierrez has cleared waivers and been assigned outright to Triple-A Iowa.
The Rockies announced that they claimed Andrew Brown off of waivers from the Cardinals (Twitter link). St. Louis had designated the versatile 27-year-old for assignment over the weekend to create roster space for Lance Lynn.
Brown appeared in 11 games for the Cardinals this June, but spent most of the season at Triple-A, where he made the Pacific Coast League All-Star team. In 428 plate appearances with the Cardinals' top affiliate, Brown posted a .284/.382/.501 line with 20 homers. He played all four corner positions for the second consecutive season.
The Cardinals have designated Andrew Brown for assignment to make room on the 40-man roster for Lance Lynn, according to Matthew Leach of MLB.com. Lynn, a right-handed pitcher, was tabbed by the Cards in the first-round of the 2008 draft.
Brown posted a slash line of .182/.182/.227 in 22 plate appearances for the Cards this season but he hit .284/.382/.501 with 20 homers in 428 plate appearances for Triple-A Memphis. The 27-year-old spent most of this season at Memphis playing in the corner outfield spots but has plenty of first base experience under his belt as well.
Let's check out a couple of notes on the Cardinals as they take on the Blue Jays at home..
- Roger Hensley of STLToday.com led a roundtable discussion on the idea of the Cardinals pursuing Mets shortstop Jose Reyes. Derrick Goold argues that such a deal is not realistic because the Mets are looking for a haul similar to what the Athletics were seeking for Matt Holliday. Most agree with Goold's view and are also doubtful that the club could afford to keep Reyes beyond this season.
- The club now finds themselves with a logjam on the 40-man roster, writes Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. The Cards could put reliever Adam Reifer, who is out for the rest of the season with a knee injury, on the 60-day DL, but doing so would put him on the major-league payroll and start his service time clock. They could also drop Francisco Samuel or Andrew Brown, but they would risk losing them to another team. With five weeks to go before the non-waiver trade deadline, it appears that the Cardinals are shopping and their moves will reach deeper than the majors.
Matt Eddy of Baseball America has this week's listings of comings and goings in the minors, and here are a few of the notable names on the move…
- Reliever Andrew Brown was dealt from St. Louis to Washington for future considerations. Brown last pitched in the majors in 2008 with Oakland, and he has a 3.84 ERA in 73 appearances between 2006-08. This is the fifth time Brown has been traded in his 10 seasons of pro ball, but it's by far the most low-profile deal; he's been involved in past trades for Gary Sheffield, Kevin Kouzmanoff and has twice been included in deals for Milton Bradley.
- The Tigers released Phil Dumatrait, and Eddy passes on the news that the left-hander has already caught on with the Korean Baseball Organization's LG Twins. Dumatrait was Boston's first-round pick (22nd overall) in the 2000 amateur draft, and he posted a 7.06 ERA in 42 major league appearances with Cincinnati and Pittsburgh.
- The Yankees have brought former prospect Rudy Guillen back into their system. Guillen briefly converted from the outfield to the mound in 2007, but then seemed to drop off of the radar for two seasons. Eddy reports that he is coming back as an outfielder once again.
- Eddy notes that catcher Carlos Maldonado, called up by the Nationals on Tuesday, could be in line for playing time as Stephen Strasburg's personal catcher given Washington's injury problems behind the plate and Maldonado's experience catching the superstar prospect at Triple-A. Maldonado last played in the majors in 2007 as a member of the Pirates. He has a .586 OPS in 50 major league plate appearances and a .689 OPS in 4097 minor league plate appearances.