Baseball's hot stove season begins after the World Series, but we still had action during the last week of October.
- Manny Acta was hired to manage the Indians, which led to the Astros hiring Brad Mills. Tony La Russa's extension with the Cardinals was announced; it's a one-year deal with a mutual option for 2011. La Russa is bringing Mark McGwire with him as the Cards' new hitting coach.
- Jed Hoyer was announced as the Padres' new GM; he replaced Kevin Towers. Hoyer signed a four-year contract with a club option for 2014. Rockies GM Dan O'Dowd and manager Jim Tracy are close to three-year agreements.
- Catcher Kenji Johjima opted out of his Mariners contract on October 19th, leaving $16MM on the table. On Tuesday he reached an agreement with the Hanshin Tigers for four years and around $21MM.
- The Rays re-signed outfielder Gabe Kapler to a one-year, $1.05MM deal, a slight raise on last year's salary. The Astros re-upped infielder Geoff Blum for one year and $1.5MM, with a mutual option for 2011. The biggest signing of the week goes to the Giants, who inked Freddy Sanchez to a two-year, $12MM extension. Sanchez is off the market, but remaining free agent second basemen include Akinori Iwamura (club option), Mark DeRosa, Orlando Hudson, Adam Kennedy, Felipe Lopez, Ronnie Belliard, Placido Polanco, and Juan Uribe.
- Righty Tim Hudson was expected to sign a three-year extension worth around $27MM by the end of the week. If an agreement was reached, the Braves are keeping it under wraps. Perhaps they're still hammering out details.
- Several players became free agents, including Tyler Yates, Chris Coste, Noah Lowry, Edgar Gonzalez, and Jack Taschner. View our full 2010 MLB free agents list here.
- Alex Anthopoulos' first move as Blue Jays' GM was a quiet one: he claimed pitcher Sean Henn off waivers from the Orioles.
- The Orioles declined two options: third baseman Melvin Mora for $8MM and catcher Chad Moeller for $850K. Moeller is still expected to return. The Astros declined their $2.85MM option on reliever Doug Brocail.
- Gary Matthews Jr. wants to be traded and does not realize how undesirable he is. Speaking of bad contracts, we listed a slew of them here.
- We summed up the Aroldis Chapman sweepstakes. Chapman visited with the Red Sox and Orioles this week, while the Tigers and Mariners were added to the list of suitors.
- SI's Jon Heyman reported that Manny Ramirez is "planning to exercise" his $20MM player option for 2010.
- Albert Pujols told 101 ESPN in St. Louis that he wants to be a Cardinal for life. Pujols is basically under contract through 2011 already.
- Free agent left fielder Jason Bay chatted with fans at WEEI.com, and said he wouldn't be limited by geography.
- We analyzed the trade market for all five infield positions: catcher, first base, second base, shortstop, and third base.
- We did Offseason Outlooks for the Braves, Tigers, and Mariners.
- Ben Nicholson-Smith's Trades of the Decade series included famous deals involving Bartolo Colon, Scott Kazmir, and Ken Griffey Jr.
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz White Sox, Mariners Have Discussed Viciedo Deal Week In Review: 3/2/14 - 3/8/14 Cafardo On Stanton, De Aza, Porcello, Drew, Britton Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Orioles, Barnes, D'Backs Quick Hits: Astros, Beltran, Orioles Quick Hits: Red Sox, Pirates, A's West Notes: Giants, Rangers, A's East Notes: Red Sox, Mets, Jays Blue Jays, Orioles In Play For Ervin Santana Quick Hits: Castellanos, Davis, Armstrong MLB Unlikely To Change Qualifying Offer Before 2016 Jose Bautista, Ervin Santana Leave Proformance Angels Outright John Hester, Robert Carson Ervin Santana Rumors: Saturday
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors