Baseball's hot stove season begins after the World Series, but we still had action during the last week of October.
- Manny Acta was hired to manage the Indians, which led to the Astros hiring Brad Mills. Tony La Russa's extension with the Cardinals was announced; it's a one-year deal with a mutual option for 2011. La Russa is bringing Mark McGwire with him as the Cards' new hitting coach.
- Jed Hoyer was announced as the Padres' new GM; he replaced Kevin Towers. Hoyer signed a four-year contract with a club option for 2014. Rockies GM Dan O'Dowd and manager Jim Tracy are close to three-year agreements.
- Catcher Kenji Johjima opted out of his Mariners contract on October 19th, leaving $16MM on the table. On Tuesday he reached an agreement with the Hanshin Tigers for four years and around $21MM.
- The Rays re-signed outfielder Gabe Kapler to a one-year, $1.05MM deal, a slight raise on last year's salary. The Astros re-upped infielder Geoff Blum for one year and $1.5MM, with a mutual option for 2011. The biggest signing of the week goes to the Giants, who inked Freddy Sanchez to a two-year, $12MM extension. Sanchez is off the market, but remaining free agent second basemen include Akinori Iwamura (club option), Mark DeRosa, Orlando Hudson, Adam Kennedy, Felipe Lopez, Ronnie Belliard, Placido Polanco, and Juan Uribe.
- Righty Tim Hudson was expected to sign a three-year extension worth around $27MM by the end of the week. If an agreement was reached, the Braves are keeping it under wraps. Perhaps they're still hammering out details.
- Several players became free agents, including Tyler Yates, Chris Coste, Noah Lowry, Edgar Gonzalez, and Jack Taschner. View our full 2010 MLB free agents list here.
- Alex Anthopoulos' first move as Blue Jays' GM was a quiet one: he claimed pitcher Sean Henn off waivers from the Orioles.
- The Orioles declined two options: third baseman Melvin Mora for $8MM and catcher Chad Moeller for $850K. Moeller is still expected to return. The Astros declined their $2.85MM option on reliever Doug Brocail.
- Gary Matthews Jr. wants to be traded and does not realize how undesirable he is. Speaking of bad contracts, we listed a slew of them here.
- We summed up the Aroldis Chapman sweepstakes. Chapman visited with the Red Sox and Orioles this week, while the Tigers and Mariners were added to the list of suitors.
- SI's Jon Heyman reported that Manny Ramirez is "planning to exercise" his $20MM player option for 2010.
- Albert Pujols told 101 ESPN in St. Louis that he wants to be a Cardinal for life. Pujols is basically under contract through 2011 already.
- Free agent left fielder Jason Bay chatted with fans at WEEI.com, and said he wouldn't be limited by geography.
- We analyzed the trade market for all five infield positions: catcher, first base, second base, shortstop, and third base.
- We did Offseason Outlooks for the Braves, Tigers, and Mariners.
- Ben Nicholson-Smith's Trades of the Decade series included famous deals involving Bartolo Colon, Scott Kazmir, and Ken Griffey Jr.
Cubs Claim Eduardo Sanchez Rangers Designate Derek Lowe For Assignment Mets Sign David Aardsma Cubs To Designate Michael Bowden For Assignment Blue Jays Claim Thad Weber Angels Claim Chris Nelson Yankees Acquire Reid Brignac Marlins Designate Jon Rauch For Assignment Dodgers To Sign Jonathan Sanchez Phillies Sign Carlos Zambrano Rays Sign Cory Wade Mets To Sign Rick Ankiel
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
AL East Notes: Yankees, Red Sox, Ellsbury Blue Jays Release Miguel Batista Minor Moves: Cotts, Boyer, Barton Draft Notes: Manaea, Outfielders MLBTR Chat Transcript Cubs Claim Eduardo Sanchez Cubs Designate Michael Bowden For Assignment Jose Altuve Rejoins Octagon; Leaves Boras Choo Not Thinking About Long-Term Deal Injury Updates On 2014 Free Agent Starters Midseason Top Prospect Trades NL East Notes: Braves, Brown, Quintero Eric O'Flaherty To Undergo Tommy John Surgery Draft Notes: Appel, Gray, Shipley, Manaea, Stanek Transaction Retrospection: The Jackson-Hudson Trade
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors