Time once again for a look back at the highlights from the past seven days here at MLBTR. Let's take a look:
- The Mariners inked Jack Wilson to a two-year, $10MM deal this week. Wilson's glove alone is worth that money; Jack Zduriencik is putting together a terrific defensive team. For what it's worth, Wilson seems to absolutely love it in Seattle. The Mariners also reached an agreement this week with Ken Griffey Jr. for a $2MM base salary plus incentives. Griffey's numbers took a sharp decline in 2009, but he says he's looking forward to helping out in whatever role he's given in 2010. One Mariner isn't quite ready to return though; Russell Branyan rejected Seattle's initial one-year offer, stating that he wants two years guaranteed.
- Despite missing nearly all of 2009, Tim Hudson signed a three-year, $27MM extension with an option for a fourth year. If Hudson is healthy, this gives the Braves a tremendous amount of pitching depth to deal from to fill other holes. Hudson threw 42.1 innings at the end of the season to the tune of a 3.61 ERA, though his .295 opponent average could be a caution flag. The Braves may not stop with Hudson either. Talks of an extension for Javier Vazquez surfaced this week as well.
- Tim Wakefield also received an extension, signing for two years and $5MM. Wakefield's average annual salary will take a hit, but he's guaranteed another two years right now, which must be nice at the age of 43.
- Several new (and in some cases, surprising) names emerged on the trade market. The Tigers have announced that they'll listen on both Curtis Granderson and Edwin Jackson, while the Pirates would be open to dealing Ryan Doumit, and the Nationals are getting a lot of calls about Josh Willingham.
- Speaking of the Nationals, they announced this week that interim manager Jim Riggleman will take over the job as the club's official manager for 2010.
- We saw a lot of options picked up or declined this week. The Red Sox picked up Victor Martinez's $7.1MM option for 2010, while the Rays picked up their $10MM option on Carl Crawford but declined to bring back Gregg Zaun or Brian Shouse. The Brewers wisely declined their $6.5MM option on Braden Looper, and the Rockies did the same with Rafael Betancourt's $5.4MM option. And after much drama, Jason Varitek exercised his $3MM player option with the Red Sox.
- Tim released his list of the Top 50 Free Agents this offseason, as well as his predictions for where each will land.
- In his Trades of the Decade series, Ben takes a look at the deal that sent Hanley Ramirez to Florida and Josh Beckett to Boston.
- If you're wondering who's available on the trade market, Tim's got you covered. This week's posts in the trade market series include starting pitchers, closers, and designated hitters.
- Offseason Outlook updates this week include the Rangers and Giants.
- And in case you missed it, the 2009 Elias Rankings have been officially released.
Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Astros To Sign Scott Feldman Mets To Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Yankees To Re-Sign Hiroki Kuroda Orioles To Sign Francisco Peguero Orioles To Sign Ryan Webb Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal White Sox To Sign Ronald Belisario Dodgers Re-Sign Brian Wilson Red Sox To Sign Edward Mujica Royals Acquire Norichika Aoki Yankees To Sign Kelly Johnson Cubs Sign Wesley Wright White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler Padres, A's Swap Seth Smith For Luke Gregerson A's Acquire Craig Gentry, Josh Lindblom Rays Extend Ryan Hanigan Rays Acquire Ryan Hanigan Tigers Sign Joe Nathan Red Sox Sign A.J. Pierzynski Athletics Acquire Jim Johnson For Jemile Weeks
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Red Sox To Sign Edward Mujica Rakuten Golden Eagles May Not Post Masahiro Tanaka Orioles Sign Francisco Peguero Rockies And Athletics Explored Brett Anderson Trade Market Reset: 2013-14 Free Agent Spending To Date Quick Hits: Astros, Papelbon, Happ, Betancourt Central Notes: Phillips, Axford, Joba, Buck Yankees Notes: Infante, Price, Drew, Choo NL West Notes: Kemp, Veras, Crain, Padres Reaction & Analysis To Robinson Cano's Signing Red Sox Links: Mujica, Payroll, Drew Notes On Granderson, Beltran, Napoli Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Minor Moves: Thames, Tekotte, McDade Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors